Semi-wadcutter VS Round nose flat point for 45 colt

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Pb2au

Semi-wadcutter VS Round nose flat point for 45 colt

Post by Pb2au »

I am currently enjoying good success utilizing Lee's 255 grn semi wadcutter mold for my 92 and Blackhawk. Lately I have been percolating on trying Lee's 255 grain RNFP mold in both as well.
Speaking in general terms for both plinking and hunting, what level of success have others have had with the RNFP?
Many thanks
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Semi-wadcutter VS Round nose flat point for 45 colt

Post by mr surveyor »

I don't want to sidetrack your thread, but I think my question is relevant.

Have you experienced any feeding problems with the swc's in your 92?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

I have had zero feeding problems with that boolit. I do not have the OAL in from of me right now, but if it would be helpful, I can post it later.
I simply crimp it on the crimp groove (I know, I am a maverick) and away I go.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I've never tried the wadcutters either in 45 Colt but sure have put a lot of RNFP through both my 92 and SAA revolvers over the years. I've found them for the most part to be very accurate and easy to work with. I also prefer them for target work in my Rossi RG 45-70 but use WFN for serious shooting in it.
Joe
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

mr surveyor wrote:I don't want to sidetrack your thread, but I think my question is relevant.

SWCs feed good in my 1892. They don't in my Marlin however, so I cast RNFP for both.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

44-40 Willy wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:I don't want to sidetrack your thread, but I think my question is relevant.

SWCs feed good in my 1892. They don't in my Marlin however, so I cast RNFP for both.

I had heard/read that swc's were a bit "sticky" feeding into the 92 (particularly the .44 which is all I have at the moment). I've had my .44 mag 92 for about two months now and have only given it a 50+/- round break in with a mix of factory jsp's and reloads (mostly swc's) at the range, then a couple of load tests of 10-12 rounds each of swc's. The swc's do take a bit more "aggressive" action to chamber than round nose jacketed, but I have no rnfp's on hand to compare. I have wondered if some of the chambering force used to chamber some of the swc's is possibly deforming the driving band enough to affect accuracy, but haven't even thought about chambering/unchambering a round to actually look for deformation :oops: . I have about a thousand 240 gr swc's left in my stash (originally bought for a Ruger SRH) and was hoping to find a load that worked equally as well in both the SRH and 92.

I need to take a day from work for some serious range time .... and empty some of my brass so I can get back to some serious reloading. And, find out just how well the swc's really work in my 92. Then it will be time to find some RD designed boolits that will work even better in my meager collection of two .44 mags.

surv
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

The RNFP that I cast is out of the Lee 158gr mold as I'm casting for 357s. I really like RD's bullet designs, but I felt that his 357 design was a bit heavy for my tastes as I like the standard weight bullets. If he had done a RNFP tumble lube 158gr bullet, I'd have been on it like white on rice. Anyway, the Lee feeds without issues in both the 92 and Marlin.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Pb2au,

I load the Lyman 454424 swc and it feed great with no problems at all. I also load thhe 452190 rnfp and it will feed with no problems,. And then I also load the lyman (can't remember the number) 225 grain TC bullet, which I use a lee taper crimp die on and crimp it with the bullet seated where the grease groove is barely hidden. And it feeds.......without any problems. I think the 45 has the least feeding problems of all. I had some problems at first loading the magazine. But i took the dremel tool with a small 1/4" ball fine grain bit to all the sharp square corners down in the lower part of the reciever, and on all the edges of the mag tube where the loading takes place, and then followed up with a Cratex bit to polish it a little. now loading is slick as can be. With the bolt out load a bullet and watch where it hangs up, then round that edge and polish it a little and it will feed so much easier.

Donhuff
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

Don huff,
Feeding is not an issue for me. Like yours, my m92 is quite obliging when it comes to feeding.
But,,,,,,,,do you find that in terms of average accuracy one design seems to be on average a bit more accurate? Historically I've always had good results with a semi wad cutter design. The RNFP is an area I'm lacking real world experience.
The local gun show is on this weekend and there is one vendor there that carries a lot of Lee molds. I'm going to head over and see if he might have one.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

It seems to me that the swc is a little more accurate overall, meaning that no matter how I load it, it gives good to great results. The TC 225 grain seems to be just as accurate as the swc and cycles like there are no bullets in the gun. The swc would of course be a "better?" killer with that huge flat nose and sharp shoulder band. To be fair to the RN, it does not fall from the mold quite as large as I would like. So it does no get sized down all the way around every time. That might have a little to do with it's lesser accuracy. It's a 452190 where the swc is an old 454424 mold. The TC bullet is also very accurate even with the bevel base that everyone sez is supposed to ruin accuracy.

With the price of the Lee two hole molds being so cheap, $20 from midway, I would get one of each and give them all a try. Heck, time you cast a couple hundred bullets, you have paid for the mold and then some vs buying bullets. Then whichever one you like the best, get the six hole version for greater production. I use the TC in 45acp and 45 auto rim in a 1917 S&W, with full moon clips, loading is so much easier than with a swc. With 6.0 grains of unobtanium (unique) the accurcy is extremely good.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70