Range report new M92 SS 16"

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Range report new M92 SS 16"

Post by Rooster59 »

10-4

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:One thing I have to say in favor of the Marlin 336 action is that it's a LOT more user friendly than the 92 in regards to disassembly/reassembly.
I would have said that before I purchased my 454 Casull. Fitting the Cartridge Guides to properly cycle a full length 454 cartridge caused me to disassemble and reassemble the rifle about 75 times. My dad timed me today. 90 seconds down and 3 minutes back together. It is really quite simple once you do it a bunch. I'm talking about only pulling the bolt, lever, hammer, and lower tang,

I don't clean my barrels much, don't need to with cast bullets using alox, but when I do I will probably start cleaning them through the receiver like I do my Marlins and Rio Grandes.
Michael
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

Well tomorrow or the next day I am pulling it apart and slicking it up..... Today I have LGF and that has motivated me to deburr this thing.... For the uninitiated (me) ...LGF is "Loading Gate Finger" or in this case...Thumb! :-) It was well worth it!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:One thing I have to say in favor of the Marlin 336 action is that it's a LOT more user friendly than the 92 in regards to disassembly/reassembly.
I would have said that before I purchased my 454 Casull. Fitting the Cartridge Guides to properly cycle a full length 454 cartridge caused me to disassemble and reassemble the rifle about 75 times. My dad timed me today. 90 seconds down and 3 minutes back together. It is really quite simple once you do it a bunch. I'm talking about only pulling the bolt, lever, hammer, and lower tang,

I don't clean my barrels much, don't need to with cast bullets using alox, but when I do I will probably start cleaning them through the receiver like I do my Marlins and Rio Grandes.
Bore cleaning a 92 every time through the receiver !
You will most likely be a minority of ONE using that method. +corn

That should be an event at the Cowboy Action Shoots...........shortest time to strip & reassemble a 92..........with NO spare parts left over of course. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:That should be an event at the Cowboy Action Shoots.. shortest time to strip & reassemble a 92..........with NO spare parts left over of course. :mrgreen:
I love it, that would be a heck of an event! It really is very simple after you have done it enough.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

It's not a matter of difficulty but one of practicality.
Cleaning guns through the receiver like controlled round feeding and pre-64 Winchesters has become a "popular concept".
Shooters clean guns from the receiver end when practicable mainly to avoid abrasion damage to the delicate crown of the muzzle from contact with dirt and grit embedded cleaning rods which would greatly affect accuracy.
With a properly used & applied brass rod guide there is no danger of damage to the delicate crown of the muzzle of the gun from cleaning rods when cleaning from the muzzle end of the barrel & I prefer the scrubbing action of a cleaning rod to the pull through brushes-on-a-string that have become popular of late.
As with most "popular concepts" people aren't often aware of the whole picture with regards to rifle cleaning and that even a cleaning rod applied through the receiver can damage the crown if a rod guide is not properly used so that only the brush contacts the barrel and a rod guide is best applied at the muzzle end where it can be controlled more efficiently. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The best thing about the from the receiver is not push the junk back into the action. Like I said, as a cast bullet shooter shooting bullets that have the proper fit, I don't need to clean my barrels and don't but on a rare occasions. Other than the initial clean up, I've never cleaned any of my 92 barrels. Absolutely don't like touching them. My lube prevents corrosion. If I've been out in the rain, I run a Bore Snake through but I don't clean them.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If your barrels aren't leading and the groups are tight your bullets aren't too big nor are they too small and the rifling is getting a proper "bite" to spin & stabilize them.
I don't cast my own bullets so all that "barrel slugging" stuff would be pointless for me cause off the shelf cast bullets & loaded ammo arrive from the factory "as is".
I'm sure there are small differences in barrel size from gun to gun with bolt action target rifles but shooters don't seem to worry about that & bullets arrive from Nosler, Berger, Hornady, etc, etc, etc, in 1 standard size for each caliber.

Too keep things in perspective, hunters using levergun carbines are usually shooting at a deer sized or larger target at ranges of 25 - 100 yards max so "pie plate" accuracy is sufficient in 99 situations out of 100 to do the job.
I've seen some rattletrap old guns shooting the cheapest green box ammo that was on sale at Wal-Mart using iron sights that have never been adjusted since the gun arrived by mail order 50 years ago take deer year after year like clockwork.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA