skinner peep sight

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
bluetick

skinner peep sight

Post by bluetick »

I just ordered a Skinner barrel mounted peep sight for my Rossi 92 (44 mag). Their FAQ page says that if you're shooting on target with the factory semi-buckhorn sight, chances are you'll need a taller front sight. That advice notwithstanding, I'm old and the sight picture with the iron sights is blurry. So while I'm on target, it was by trial and error; not proper sight alignment. I'm going to install the sight and shoot some rounds. But meanwhile, I'm wondering what most people's experience with this has been.
"Staan vas en hou jou lyn. Dis hier waar ons hulle kan keer!"
COSteve

Re: skinner peep sight

Post by COSteve »

As another 'senior' shooter, you'd be much better served with a peep sight installed on your Rossi in the rear of the bolt where the stupid safety is as you'll have a small aperture close to your eye and that will produce a Depth of Field advantage. There is a reason that tang sights work well on leverguns and that's because the aperture is close to your eye as well.
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

My .357 shoots well with the factory front. I would suggest trying it as is first.
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

COSteve wrote: 28 Feb 2024 17:07 As another 'senior' shooter, you'd be much better served with a peep sight installed on your Rossi in the rear of the bolt where the stupid safety is as you'll have a small aperture close to your eye and that will produce a Depth of Field advantage. There is a reason that tang sights work well on leverguns and that's because the aperture is close to your eye as well.
I’ll second that.
oldfogey

Post by oldfogey »

These guys are right....accuracy will be better if you go with a receiver mounted peep(like a Williams) or with a tang sight. The farther apart your front and rear sight are the more accurately you'll be able to index the sights and shoot. Its called sight radius
Last edited by oldfogey on 29 Feb 2024 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

I have several peep sights and all of them have taller front sights. If not I struggle to get the rear peep sight set low enough to get to Point of Aim. I like a little adjustability in my sight. Skinner is a good sight but the adjustability is not as good.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

One of our members made the rear peep sights I've installed on both my 92s. They are a very high quality vertically adjustable peep sights that are mounted in the "bolt safety" hole. Unfortunately, our member lives in Moscow, Russia. And I haven't heard anything from him since that Russian version of Adolph Hitler started his "programme of defensive expansion" just like "his" role model did in the Austrian Anschluss in March 1938. History repeats itself, but that's way off topic. My apologies.
Rossi 92s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

Gunny268,
I remember when he started making those. I was wanting one but was afraid coming from Russia. On a lot of my lever rifles I now have the Marbles Bullseye sight. I like that sight so well that I now have 8 of those sights on lever action rifles. They are very strong and very easy to pick up quickly. Your eye centers the front sight and for me they are even as good as the Lyman and Williams peep sight. Probably the best one for keeping the factory front sight on also, because they are approx. the same height as the Buckhorn sights. But I have had to add a couple higher front sights on these as well

Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

You have a very cool setup that I hope will work well for you. I, on the other hand, tried a couple of the other rear peep sights that mounted forward on the barrel like yours. They didn't work so well for me. Like COSteve commented, I needed something closer to the eye. Very much like the military peep sights I am used to. When Andrew (vtoran) offered his design up on this forum, I jumped on it. They were exactly what I needed, and I regret I only obtained the two I am using.
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

May not be or just maybe as good as what you have if you need a couple more.

https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php? ... ucts_id=10