Rossi RP63, 357 Magnum, Notes, Thoughts, Basic Tuning and Grip Options

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Sharps40

Rossi RP63, 357 Magnum, Notes, Thoughts, Basic Tuning and Grip Options

Post by Sharps40 »

New. Solid. I'll have to measure, seems about the same size as the Taurus 856. Under $340.

Mean heavy trigger, but smooth.

Same sight height as the Taurus 856 so the Ameriglo tritium from shop Taurus for $30 should fit.

Guts are Smith derived, different than current Taurus. Should respond to similar tuning.

No safety. MIM internals.

There are no spring sets for this and a wolf/Taurus 10 lb rebound was too weak to reset the trigger. For now 2 coils clipped off the factory rebound spring shaved 1 lb from the trigger pull. Now 4 lbs SA and 8 million DA.

There are no grips for this yet but a light reprofile may allow use of all factory and aftermarket Taurus small frame grips, (and the Rossi factory grip) we'll have to see. Hopefully 856 grips will fit as I really like them.

Firing pin in hammer. Hammer block action.

Shooting soon. More to follow. Should make a good partner to my R92 357 rifle.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sharps40

Re: Rossi RP63, 357 Magnum, Notes, Thoughts, Basic Tuning and Grip Options

Post by Sharps40 »

Familiar Smith style action. All parts and recesses smoother than expected.
3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Since no specific springs are yet available and a 10 lb spring was too light, 2 coils were clipped from the rebound spring. SA pull reduced from 5 lb to 4lb. DA pull still well over my 8 lb trigger gauge.

Right bump on rebound slide had a sharp edge impeding trigger return and hammer kick back. The edge was rounded with a diamond hone and polished bright.

Do not lower the bump, it risks locking the firing pin in the indented primer and locking the gun or breaking the tip. The factory controlled parts won't be made available to you for a quick fix.
4.jpeg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Proving that 90% of your pull weight is in the rebound spring only, I changed the factory main spring to a 9 lb wolf/Taurus spring. (Factory spring weight is about 11 to 12 lbs). SA pull only dropped to 3 lb 14 oz. We need to see if it'll reliably pop hard cci primers. And will need to try other rebound springs to find a reliable and lighter rate cause that DA pull remains mean. (Don't know if J/K/L frame rebound springs will fit, the Rossi Rebound slide will not accept a spring over diameter of about .190 inches, so I'll root in the spares box for something that looks/feels/works right.)
5.jpeg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Cylinder latch sits .085 proud of the frame. Just cosmetic but a few swipes on the legs and it sits a prettier .025 off the frame.
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Settled the action work. Off to test fire momentarily.

Factory heavy mainspring for reliability of ignition.

Factory rebound spring (.180 dia by .038 wire) replaced with a spring with more coils but .175 dia by .030 wire.

DA trigger pull dropped from the Stratosphere to 8 lbs, 12 oz.

SA trigger pull settled in at 3lb 4 oz.

That's consistent with where I like them all to be, regardless of brand.
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Success. Reliable. Easy to shoot with 38s and still easily controlled with hot Underwood 158g bonded jhp.

All shots double action for the weakest primer strike.

8 federal 125g +p 38s, 12 yrs old and multiple trips thru the washer and dryer resulted in 2 dud primers. These 6 hit right on the sight at 7 yds. Much less kick than an LCR shooting +P 38s.

Sight is harrrrrrrd to see.

15 heavy handload with 125g xtp ran perfectly. 7 yds impact was 2+ in high.

5 ea heavy Underwood 158g bonded ran perfect. 7 yds impact was 2+ in high. Extraction was very slightly sticky. Polishing chambers should resolve that. These won't be used much except on deer. A stout load but very controllable in this platform. They do not sting my hand or tear meat off my thumb like the LCR 38 does.

Grip is very serviceable and controls the gun but I think I'll see about modding for the shorter but hand filling Taurus 856 grip.
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Top photo: Taurus 856, 38 Special, top right, wearing the Rossi R63 Grip. No changes to the grip or gun were required, in fact the fit is snug enough you could get away without even drilling the already spotted hole in the grip frame for the rossi grip stud. But, it would be a best idea to drill that spotted hole and install the rossi grip retention stud as well....sorta keep the grip from sliding off the handle!

Bottom photo: Rossi RP63, 357 Magnum, lower left, wearing the Taurus 856 family of grips, its only a few thousands from sliding home to a perfect fit. While the rossi factory grip is good, its big enough to be best suited to the RP64 and RP66. Its a bit slim but very nice over all, however it won't conceal as well as a boot style grip. The Taurus 856 grip is a dandy, hand filling, grippy and controls things nicely on the similarly sized frame. (Rossi and Taurus are within a few ounces of each other.) The Taurus 856 grip would allow the Rossi to conceal better and even pocket carry very nicely, and I believe, continue to provide good controlability.
8.jpg
9.jpg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Currently there are only 2 grips available for the RP series Rossi's. The factory grip and the LOK, made of G10 and coming in at $125+ shipping.

However, the Taurus 856 is in that family including most all of the Taurus non polymer revolvers (85,850, 856, 605, etc.) e.g. 40Eleven grip styles are avalilable. So, makes sense to take 20 minutes and get the Rossi up and running for Both Rossi grips and Taurus Grips. Tons of options now and especially as more grips come on line for the RP series.

In the Bottom photo, grip frames compared, only about 20 to 30 thousands was removed to flatten out the bottom of the RP63 grip frame.
10.jpg
11.jpg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

I had previously converted my Taurus 856 from Grip retention pin to 8x40 screw. This allows me to use one tool, a screwdriver, to completely disassemble the Taurus 856 for cleaning and maintenance. No more need to keep a hammer and punch handy.

Shown on top, the Rossi RP63 has had its grip retention pin driven out from the large hole in the bottom rear of the grip. A hole was spotted, drilled #28 and tapped 8x40 TPI in the bottom front of the grip frame to similarly secure the Taurus 856 Grip to the Rossi RP63 grip frame.
12.jpg