New 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

New 92

Post by ironhead7544 »

Went to my LGS where he had 3 M92s on the rack. Two carbines and a short rifle. The two carbines were badly fitted. The short rifle in 44 Magnum looked way better. Has case colors that look pretty good. Action was a lot better, too. So I bought it. I have a bunch of brass and bullets I accumulated since 1972 when I first started loading the 44 Magnum.

Will report on the rifle as I get the chance to test it.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: New 92

Post by pricedo »

That's the best way to buy em.
Pick the best of the litter off the rack.
Don't forget to cycle the action and look down the barrel.
Bring some dummy rounds and cycle them through the action (ASK THE CLERK FIRST!).
Over the years I've left some real dogs sitting on the rack.
A poorly fitted stock is easy to fix if the metal infrastructure is OK and has given me the leverage to negotiate substantial discounts at times.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well done!
Michael
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Went to the range today to check function on the M92. I guess I got lucky. The rifle fed the Winchester 240 gr 44Mag JSP, Magtech 240 gr SP (very flat point) and Remington 180 gr HP without a hitch. Also tried generic 240 gr lead SWC in 44 Mag cases and it worked fine again. Then some Hornady swaged 240 gr lead SWCs which went through the action with no problem.

Picked up a box of the Speer 200 gr 44 Magnum Short Barrel loading. These fed just fine too. Im interested in chronographing this load and will also chrono the 44 Special version next time out. Should be some good home defense loads. The Gold Dot hollow point is huge.

No target frames at the range today and mine is broken so could only plink. Windage seems OK but the full 240 gr load seems a bit high at 100 yards, probably a foot with the rear sight all the way down.

Recoil isnt too bad even with the curved butt plate.

Will report more next time.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great find glad to know they are still out there.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Update: Decided to clean the rifle. Noticed the action seem to be binding. Felt really bad.

Couldnt leave it alone like that. Looked up assembly instructions. Took it apart, fairly simple.

Found that the carrier was sticking in the frame. Wouldnt move up and down. After taking the screws out, had a hard time getting it out of the frame. The side that rubs up and down on the receiver showed signs of fitting and was roughly filed. Took a little bit off that side, polished it and tried to put it back in the frame, wouldnt go in. Worked it down until it would go back in easily. It still doesnt slide up and down easily but after putting the rifle back together it works OK now.

Should the carrier move easily inside the frame? It seems to me it should. There is a tension plunger but that spring isnt that strong. Should I take it down some more until it moves easily? Thanks to anyone that can help.

Had a bit of a time getting the hammer and tang back together. Figured it out finally.

I had heard it is difficult to get the bolt pin back in but that went easily for me.

After everything was back together, the action was frozen. Turned out to be the bolt pin retainer screw. Backed it out 1/4 turn and it freed up. Should I take a little of the end of the screw? It seems to be a critical fit. I did notice it was loose when I took it out.

I just realized this should have gone in the DIY gunsmithing section. Sorry!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

A lotta the fun and enjoyable stuff I've done involving Rossi guns over the years belongs in the DIY gunsmithing section. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Maj Dad

Post by Maj Dad »

Ironhead,
Here's a link to post that might answer some of your questions. I have a new 92 in 44 mag I am starting to work on - took it to the range & got it zeroed, but still a tad (~3-5") high @ 50 yds with 240 gr. I can live with that, but haven't tried 200 gr yet. My problem is it won't feed anything - tried several loads I had on hand & none will feed because of the high angle of the bullet on the carrier. I haven't yet cleaned it thoroughly, so I'm hopeful that will fix it. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll cough up the dough for Steve's video & kit. We shall see...

Good luck with yours & have fun!
George J.
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=590
Maj, USAF, ret.
Member, SCV
Life Member VFW, DAV, TSRA and MOAA
Benefactor Member, NRA
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

UPDATE: Finally got back to the range today. Shot a few different loads. 44 Special with a warm load of WW296 and a Hornady 240 gr XTP, some plinkers with a generic 200 gr RNFP cowboy bullet in 44 Special cases, and some with the Lyman SWCGC #429244. All fed just fine and gave good accuracy. I was a little worried about the #429244 as in 44 Magnum cases it is longer than the standard length. They worked just fine. Should be a good bullet for this rifle.

The sights, however, are off. Hitting 8 inches high at 50 yards all the way down with Winchester 240 gr soft point loads. Not sure what rear sight I want to use yet so havent replaced the front sight.

Overall I'm very pleased with the rifle.

Will be slicking it up this week, if I get time. Will continue to report.