sights

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

sights

Post by golfish »

Sorry for all the questions guys..I've been reading about these guns for 4 months and still learning..

I shot the new .357 this weekend and at 75 yars with the sights set to shoot as low as they go it was right on, that's with .38sp ..when I shot .357 Remington 125 grain JSP I was 12"+ higher..There is no more adjustment. Keep in mind I've never taken a gun apart other then some easy take downs for cleaning. I like the sights on this gun so I'd kind of like to keep them the way they are but I guess I'm going to need a taller sight up front..

I have no clue how to replace the front sight..I've looked at it and looked at it and just can't figure it out. Is it wedged in? solder in? glued in? I just don't get it..

Thanks

Mark
Xshot

Re: sights

Post by Xshot »

You simply tap it out. Use a brass punch and a steady hand. It comes out either direction (left/right).
izzyjoe

Post by izzyjoe »

lay the rifle on something solid, like a counter and drift it out, make sure to go one way left to right. and install the new one the same way.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Xshot wrote:You simply tap it out. Use a brass punch and a steady hand. It comes out either direction (left/right).
How would it stay in place without a wedge do rossi's use set screws on there sites mine doesn't? all dovetails I have dealt with were drift out left to right if you hammer it the oppsite it will not come out as far as I know maybe some Rossi's are different?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:How would it stay in place without a wedge do rossi's use set screws on there sites mine doesn't?
They are super tight. If there is any tendency for them to drift under recoil, the ears of the dovetail (the very top radius of the barrel), can be tapped with the punch staking the sight in place.
all dovetails I have dealt with were drift out left to right if you hammer it the oppsite it will not come out as far as I know maybe some Rossi's are different?
The BrazTech Rossi's all seem to have the correct 3/8" dovetail but earlier rifles have something slightly larger. It is close but not quite. Skinner's peeps are manufactured for the earlier cut but a file stroke or two on the sight preps it for the current rifle so the difference is quite small. I replaced the sight on my Interarms 62 Pump Gun and it was loose but a brass shim between the barrel and sight cured the issue. I want to put a Skinner dovetail peep on this rifle, just haven't gotten to it yet.
Michael
RickinVA

Post by RickinVA »

Can someone explain why the .38s are dead-on at 75 yards and the .357s are 12" high? Do the .38s drop that much or do hotter rounds just shoot higher, and, if so, why?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RickinVA wrote:Can someone explain why the .38s are dead-on at 75 yards and the .357s are 12" high? Do the .38s drop that much or do hotter rounds just shoot higher, and, if so, why?
Combo of both. It would be interesting to see chronographed velocities of the same bullet from both the 38 Spl and 357 Mag. In that the overall length of the 38 Spl is shorter and this rifle does not have a specifically cut 38 Spl chamber, the amount of freebore present is going to effect a pressure loss resulting in a velocity loss. So, the lower pressure/velocity cartridge is going to operate at a lower pressure/velocity than forecast creating an even bigger gap in the performance of the two cartridges.
Michael
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Ranch Dog wrote:
RickinVA wrote:Can someone explain why the .38s are dead-on at 75 yards and the .357s are 12" high? Do the .38s drop that much or do hotter rounds just shoot higher, and, if so, why?
Combo of both. It would be interesting to see chronographed velocities of the same bullet from both the 38 Spl and 357 Mag. In that the overall length of the 38 Spl is shorter and this rifle does not have a specifically cut 38 Spl chamber, the amount of freebore present is going to effect a pressure loss resulting in a velocity loss. So, the lower pressure/velocity cartridge is going to operate at a lower pressure/velocity than forecast creating an even bigger gap in the performance of the two cartridges.

I figured the "combo of both" would be right. I just can't figure why 2 of the 3 .357 mag ammo types I used shot flat and ONLY the Remington shot high?

Thanks for all the info on the sights. It lookslike Skinners offers a taller sight. I'll have to call and make sure it fits the octgon barrel.
RickinVA

Post by RickinVA »

Interesting. So this is really a .357 rifle that will also shoot .38s, but at a cost. Thanks for the explaination.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Ranch Dog wrote:[ want to put a Skinner dovetail peep on this rifle, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Ranch Dog, I looked at the skinner sights. I like the idea that the front sight they have is taller and can be filed down. I didn't see one marked oct barrel vs round so I'm guessing this front sight would fit both?

FWIW, I did get Steve's DVD last night, watched it twice :D I'll have questions about removing the front stock. I'll start another thread on that one if I need help.

I'm off to the parts house for some brake cleaner

Thanks again

Mark