New M92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Gaterskiner

New M92

Post by Gaterskiner »

Got A new M 92 .45 Colt, 16",Big loop. Saturday. I looked it over well, twice. and It looks and shoots good. The only hitch in the action is just as the lever closes, I think that is the extractor catching the rim. It is much harder than I would like. Any quick fixes for this? I know about Steves Gunz but dont want to do an action job on it till I get some more rounds through it.
I load all my ammo and want to have A couple loads with A 300 grain RNFP and About 265 or 255 grain Keith bullet. What are you guys using?
Hope to put A pic here of the new Rossi and Ruger Bisley. we will try.
Gaterskiner

Re: New M92

Post by Gaterskiner »

Hmmmmm guess not!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Have you used somthing to really flush and degrease the action I used non chlorinated brake cleaner with the rear stock off and spray the inside of the reciever until no more stuff comes out and it is clear let it dry which it does fast then oil and lube it back up and shoot it or decide on if you want to tune it up or not. I don't have one in .45 yet so i cannot help with that but R.D. will chime in at some point he has been taking hogs using .45lc loads and his bullets seems to be working well from what I read of his hog count thus far this year.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've only used my TLC454-290-RF, sized at .452", with 25.5-grains of Lil'Gun. This is a brutal shooting load at the bench and hell on the feral hogs. I've killed a boat load of hogs with it since acquiring the rifle earlier this year. I also have the same rifle chambered in 44 Mag but for some reason seem to be favoring the 45 Colt.
Michael
Dr. A

Post by Dr. A »

Hey Gater, saw this post last PM, but had my phone, and well, that is just a PIA to use. I have not smoothed out my action, because I was holding out thinking it would smooth up. Its really not that bad to begin with, though I've noticed a total break down for cleaning has been required twice. I did get that CD for smoothing up, but it is really just controlled wear, which we accelerate greatly by doing. I did get the loads down for myself. 8 or 9gr. of Unique works well with any 250 or 255gr. RN or SWC. The 270gr. RCBS SAA that actually weighs in at 280gr. did great with 20 and 32 CUP loads. as per Brian Pierce. http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/P ... artial.pdf
I prefer using AA#9 because of its compatibility to my Dillon, and got good 1700fps velocities with the max load, which even though it was not gas checked, gave tremendous near one hole accuracy at 50 yards with my peep sight. THese were only sized to .452. THe H110 gave a bit better velocity as did Lil Gun, but do not work with my powder disperser as well. I also used a copy of this bullet, that is 270gr. bullet made by RIm Rock. It got good but not great accuracy wtih higher velocity loads. What I did not do with the RCBS 270 SAA was drive it slower. I did with the RIm ROck, and found that the 270gr. slug was inaccurate with 9gr. of Unique, which would be a good moderate load for that RCBS. Not sure if it is unstable or what the explanation is. No matter, they do work well with my Marlin and other handguns in the same caliber. I also used 18gr. of AA#9 and the 300gr. Lee with a gas check and got excellent accuracy. Did not drive it slowly either. I do believe this gun will cycle SWC just fine, but does so well with the RN, I stayed wit it. I do not have any of Ranch Dog's made up, so that is another chapter.

I fire lapped mine as well, and saw immediate extreme improvement from 3-4 inches at best per 50 yards to less than 1 inch. The barrel was terrible in my case. I have a Marbles tang sight on it, which works well except for my hat hitting it when shooting the hard kicking loads. I also put a leather sleeve on mine (Kirkpatrick leather)
http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/acces ... t-cover-52 and slipped two layers of Sorbothane in the back for smoothing down the violent sharp recoil this gun generates. It is much improved in quality of shooting! I got the sorbothane form a Dr. Shoals shoe sole pad. My sharp angle cut my shoulder several times. Good luck and let me know if I can tell you or send you bullet samples...
Dr. A

Post by Dr. A »

Didn't you just get a Marlin 45CB as well? I think I need another short barreled Rossi!
Gaterskiner

Post by Gaterskiner »

Yes i did get A Marlin 24" .45 CB and A new ruger Blackhawk Bisley in the past few weeks. I guess it's .45 itis or something!
Gun buying is over for A while. Want to get the Skinner Express sights for the Cowboy. Not sure exactly what I want for sights on the Rossi. The Bisly is Perfect as it is.
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

The extractor is stiff getting up over the rim and sliding on the cut on the barrel. I haven't messed with any of mine, rather make sure it works every time I open the lever and empty the chamber. I like the 45 over the 44 myself, both are great, I just prefer the 45. The Marlins are easier to tear down, the 92's are stronger, they are both good. I don't have the Rossi 45, have 2 of the 454's and use hot 45's or low-end 454's in them. The bonus is the 454's come with a recoil pad from the factory and I think the chambers are cut tighter. Enjoy the new addition Gater, good to see you here. DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dpe.ahoy wrote: I don't have the Rossi 45, have 2 of the 454's...

Oh my! :mrgreen:
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

dpe.ahoy wrote:The extractor is stiff getting up over the rim and sliding on the cut on the barrel. I haven't messed with any of mine, rather make sure it works every time I open the lever and empty the chamber. I like the 45 over the 44 myself, both are great, I just prefer the 45. The Marlins are easier to tear down, the 92's are stronger, they are both good. I don't have the Rossi 45, have 2 of the 454's and use hot 45's or low-end 454's in them. The bonus is the 454's come with a recoil pad from the factory and I think the chambers are cut tighter. Enjoy the new addition Gater, good to see you here. DP
Also the 454 model features a tube loading slot, a much stronger double threaded magazine assembly with no pins to shear off, stronger heat treated receiver, no case bulge problem because of tighter chamber tolerances & no unsupported case wall during firing and all for the same money & the same rifle weight. You can't have a "sloppy" chamber in a gun chambered for a 60K+ psi SAAMI rated cartridge. The whole case has to be supported or you'll wind up wearing it after you pull the trigger.
Q: Why buy a dedicated 45 LC and miss out on the above features?
A: Geeze pricedo because the 92/454 fires the dreaded 454 Casull & I might bruise my shoulders.
Yup, it certainly fires the dreaded 454 Casull cartridge but you can own a 92/454 a whole lifetime and not fire a single full power 454 Casull round through it..........it's not illegal. :shock:
I've fired lots of lead 45LC in my 92/454 and don't see the chamber leading everyone is afraid of.
Clean your gun thoroughly every once in a while and you won't have a leading problem.
Don't miss out on a certainty..........get the 454 Casull model. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA