Arroyoshark

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Arroyoshark

Post by Arroyoshark »

Howdy fellas, arroyoshark here. I stumbled upon this site this past month, when looking for some reviews of the Rossi RG .45-70. Seemed like I kept running across threads by Ranch Dog, which led me to this forum. It’s been almost two weeks since I acquired this new lever, and thought I would like to be part of this community to learn more.
1 RG .jpg
This Rio Grande is my first Rossi arm. I am re-aquainting myself to managing heavy recoil.

I used to enjoy metallic silhouette competition. In the 1980’s I and another Santa Fe Caja del Rio Gun Club member started a lever-action silhouette match and ran it for a few years. Ron Troyer, over at Whittington Center, was interested in what we were doing, took it up with the Raton Silhouette Club, which modified the course of shooting a bit to include prone. This match is now a popular sanctioned NRA competition.

I live at the west end of the Santa Fe Trail and one of the rutted routes crosses an arroyo about 400 feet from my home. I am a mostly retired civil engineer and have had a long-standing interest in firearms, having recently even worked for as an apprentice gunsmith/armorer. I appreciate lever action carbines – mostly shooting grade Winchesters. I have a current project of re-assembling an old model 1895 - .30 Army from a box of parts, a result of some trading. I am down to fitting and finishing a replica butt stock.

Another interest is long rides on enduro style motorcycles to very out of the way places. My first experience with a .45-70 came during preps for a trip to the bush in the Yukon and Northwest Territory. I selected a Handi Rifle in .45-70, which can be broken down for compact transporting. Perhaps futility, but I practiced rapid reloading from a wrist band cartridge holder. Riding out on the North Canol Road past the Mackenzie Range into the NWT I felt comforted having such a caliber, yet was satisfied that I never had to deploy it.

For some time I kept an idea I’d like to have a lever in .45-70, but waited far too long to execute the idea. The Rossi seems like it may be a real workable piece. Perhaps one of these elk seasons I will use it when the snows are flying and the elk are holed up in the thick timber of north facing slopes. I envy Ranch Dog being able to walk from his house and bag a deer.

I've come here to learn, but perhaps I might occasionally contribute something as well. ¡Muchas gracias
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arroyoshark

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome Arroyo and well done with the RG45-70 but keep us posted on your 1895 project as I know most of use would love to see it!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Arroyoshark

Post by akuser47 »

glad to have you.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!