Picked up my fourth 92...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Picked up my fourth 92...

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Taking notes here as I've been mulling over yet another 357 rifle and the 92 carbine is on the short list.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:They say old Amadeo Rossi had forearms like Popeye.
Maybe that's where he got em.........twisting those stocks to put the screws in. :mrgreen:

Seriously, it kinda solves the mystery of all the split stocks that the old Rossi 92s had NIB.
The frustrated owners automatically blamed the Brazilian jungle-wood instead of the assembly process.
In light of the band problems that initial assumption needs to be rethought.
May be so.

On another issue, I had purchased a red aluminium magazine follower on eBay for this rifle. I dropped in the tube during reassembly and it hung up several times. I went ahead and tried cycling some ammo and the action kept handing up. I removed the red follower and put the yellow one back in. Things are slick again. I had purchased a SS follower from The Smith Shop and it should be at the ranch when I get home. I also bought SS magazine springs for all my 92s.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:On another issue, I had purchased a red aluminium magazine follower on eBay for this rifle. I dropped in the tube during reassembly and it hung up several times. I went ahead and tried cycling some ammo and the action kept handing up. I removed the red follower and put the yellow one back in. Things are slick again.
Did the action hang up or did the cartridges in the tube hang up?

The relatively flexible plastic followers can "give a little" and can squeeze by a constriction or out of the way of another moving part where the rigid metal followers can't.

If a magazine tube is slightly bulged from being dinged the cheap plastic follower has the flexibility to squeeze through the deformed section under the combined weight of a column of cartridges where the rigid metal follower will hang up.

I've talked to a few levergun owners and haven't encountered one who told me that they had problems with the plastic magazine followers disintegrating in the tubes.

The only time I ever heard of such a thing is from people who sold metal followers.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I haven't ran into anyone who has had the plastic follower come apart either. Maybe the CAS guys, but then they do a lot of things to their guns that I wouldn't to mine.

But if I was insistent on putting in a metal follower, I'd try one from Winchester Bob for a Winchester 1892. I've heard that the Rossi 92 magazine spring is a tight fit inside, but it can be threaded in.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I didn't throw the plastic followers I replaced with SS followers away.
Having said that I've yet to have a cycling or feeding problem with any of my leverguns since I tuned them up.
Part of the tune up process was replacing the plastic magazine followers with metal followers.
Fingers crossed........"knock on plastic" that the trouble free performance will continue. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Did the action hang up or did the cartridges in the tube hang up?
The cartridges are hanging up half way through the magazine tube port. The follower is hanging up toward the end of its travel. It could be in the tube but it is chrome bright and shiny plus it looks concentric. It appears to be slightly larger in diameter than the plastic follower, may be +.001", but I did not take the time to do any measurements.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:Did the action hang up or did the cartridges in the tube hang up?
The cartridges are hanging up half way through the magazine tube port. The follower is hanging up toward the end of its travel. It could be in the tube but it is chrome bright and shiny plus it looks concentric. It appears to be slightly larger in diameter than the plastic follower, may be +.001", but I did not take the time to do any measurements.
I don't think you need to be a machinist to solve this one but if you have a lathe & the skill to use it shave some (a little at a time!) metal off the outside circumference of that metal follower.
For the rest of us clods (including me) it's time to get the old 3 sided file (poor mans lathe) out and tuck in the metal skirt of that metal follower and polish it smooth again with fine grained emery paper while trying our best to maintain the symmetry.
Making the follower a bit skinnier should solve the problem.
OR
Put the cheap yellow follower back in the gun. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes easy to solve, was just out of time. I will wait for my SS spring and follower before I pull the yellow. Might already be at the ranch.

I'm with you guys as well. I really don't see the problem with the yellow follower as long as harsh solvents are not used on it. I've never replaced any in my Marlins but they have not needed the tinkering at the start like my 92s have required. In that I've "cracked these eggs open", might as well do everything that I can.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yes easy to solve, was just out of time. I will wait for my SS spring and follower before I pull the yellow. Might already be at the ranch.

I'm with you guys as well. I really don't see the problem with the yellow follower as long as harsh solvents are not used on it. I've never replaced any in my Marlins but they have not needed the tinkering at the start like my 92s have required. In that I've "cracked these eggs open", might as well do everything that I can.
My Remlins & Rossis DID need a certain amount of tinkering (in some cases ALOT of tinkering) before they were useful and I DID replace the plastic Remlin followers with SS followers from Wild West Guns.
No problems yet.......knock on SS. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

According to TomRay over at Marlin Owners who was a Marlin engineer until the plant moved to Ilion, Marlin used a special plastic called Delrin which is a tough material with a very low coefficient of friction. Not your regular plastic. No idea what Rossi uses though.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR