Just Bought a 480 Ruger!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just Bought a 480 Ruger!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Already drew up a Ranch Dog bullet, pending actual chamber dimensions. 350-grains looks like a great balance and the gas check will take advantage of the PMax offered by the cartridge.

Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Already drew up a Ranch Dog bullet, pending actual chamber dimensions. 350-grains looks like a great balance and the gas check will take advantage of the PMax offered by the cartridge.

I presume that LEE manufactures the actual molds for you. :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
RCG

Post by RCG »

You're a stouter fellow than I am! The .44 Magnum is quite enough for me to handle, and still look forward to shooting it.

Enjoy it, though, and keep us posted on your load development. I'm curious about how it will perform. It seems as if you will be able to get about 1400 ft/sec or a bit more on that 350 grain boolit.

It should be lots of fun on pigs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Picked up the rifle today, very nice and I'm quite tickled to own it. I was going to cast some bullets this afternoon but ended up playing with my grandkids. I decided to at least replace the sights this evening and ran into an issue with the bolt safety plug peep. The sights base, the grommet that goes where the plug was, is considerably smaller than the hole in the bolt. I'm going to actually compare it with one of my other 92s tomorrow but I believe this is an entirely different safety, its larger.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Picked up the rifle today, very nice and I'm quite tickled to own it. I was going to cast some bullets this afternoon but ended up playing with my grandkids. I decided to at least replace the sights this evening and ran into an issue with the bolt safety plug peep. The sights base, the grommet that goes where the plug was, is considerably smaller than the hole in the bolt. I'm going to actually compare it with one of my other 92s tomorrow but I believe this is an entirely different safety, its larger.
Leave it to Rossi to have a non-standard safety in that gun. :evil:
I don't know how handy you are with a lathe but perhaps SG could make one for you at a reasonable cost.
It would be worth an email to SG to find out.
Let me know how the shoulder is holding out after a few stiff loads down range with those heavy bullets.........you might want to let that .480 go......cheap. ;) :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I measured the safety plugs in my other two R92s and they were .274" in diameter where the plug in the 480 Ruger was .275". I did speak with Steve and he said that is is not that uncommon of an issue. His plugs error on the small side as there is a very easy fix.
  • You simply:
  • Rotate the plug so that the pin recess is 180° from where it should be positioned with the full radius of the plug forward.
  • Start the pin and tap it with a hammer to mark a new pin slot position.
  • At the marked position, cut a new pin slot with a file. Work the metal a little at a time until the pin will seat with a snug fit.
The plug will center up against the aft radius of the hole. Working with a jeweler's triangle file it took me 5 minutes to complete the entire sight installation. Here is some pictures of the peep sight. In the first picture you can see the slot I cut in the plug of the sight. It was about have the depth of the radius of the original plus of course, it is cut with the right angle of the file. The pin drove in very securely.

Here is the rifle with the SG Small (1/16") White Bead Front Sight, Rear Sight Plug, and the Safety Plug Peep Sight.

I like the fact that the 480 Ruger is a carbine but not a SRC (Saddle Ring Carbine). While stalking the two hogs I killed with my other two carbines, I found the saddle ring a potential source of noise. While working through heavy brush, I had to keep it secure. I'm not in favor of a leather wrap as the material will trap moisture and scent. I might go ahead and cut them off leaving the unslightly fence post staple in the side of the rifle.
Michael
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

Regarding the saddle ring,- -
I've removed one of mine because of the noise problem. I found that it was just as handy in that condition as w/the ring.
To have the 'hands free' benifit simply make or acquire a single point sling as sold as tacticle gear in many places.
I made mine from a fine, sturdy surplus strap w/hardware. It carries quietly and comes up quickly. If you must squat simply
swing it to your lap.
Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I don't see a problem as long as the gun isn't a collectors item like a genuine Winchester 92 with removing the saddle ring and grinding off the metal eye flush with the receiver......... a little smoothing and polishing and some touch up bluing and voila.......out of sight out of mind.
Pretty straight forward for a $400 Rossi 92 utility gun. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA