357 for rifle and revolver

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Deleted User 547

357 for rifle and revolver

Post by Deleted User 547 »

Is there a particular powder you guys like for your sets? I'm getting a SA in 357 and a R92 as well. I noticed in my books that there aren't too many loads that are listed for both rifle and revolver. But it seems like the reason for getting a rifle in a pistol category would be to simplify loading...
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 357 for rifle and revolver

Post by 44-40 Willy »

That would depend on what kind of loads you're wanting to make. Full power stuff, I'd look at 2400, H110/Win 296 or Lil Gun. Low velocity cast loads, Unique is always a good choice, but I've done pretty good with 700X as well. I've also heard good things about Trail Boss for low velocity cast loads, but I've never got around to trying any.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Deleted User 547

Post by Deleted User 547 »

I generally use cast. Medium power would be nice. I want to take advantage of the magnum capacity of the cases. I'd like to know I'm shooting a magnum not a special.
I would also be inclined to order up some fmj and run some hot magnum loads for fun.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

they show the same loads because the round is saami max at 35-k it doesn't matter if it's in a rifle or revolver.
use something like unique or herco it goes from plink to blaaalaam easy nuff.
I use a cast 158 rnfp and 7 grs of herco as my main everyday load in both my revolvers and lever guns.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Howdy prsman23
Have a caliber.357 Marlin and a DW .357 that get carried together. I also cast my own and found I enjoy shooting the Lyman 358429 with between 11 to 12.5 grains 2400. This is no snail load but also is not maxed out.
The DW has a long cylinder so it is easy to get too long a load in it that will not fit the lever rifle.
My solution is to fit the cartrige to the rifle and the revolver will just make do. Other revolvers with shorter cylinders end up about the same. I figure the rifle is for longer accuracy and the revolver for up close where pristine accuracy past 20 yards is no issue. Nice thing with a DW is there are so strong you near cannot hurt one with any load safe in a rifle.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

ditto on three of those powders.... Trail Boss for the mild, Unique for the moderate, and 2400 for (near) the wild. I like enough bulk to see a massive overflow in the event I dump two charges into a case. These do well for me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

I have been using 7.5 g Unique OAL 1.59 with a factory crimp.

Shooting it in a S&W 27-2 and a R92 SS 16" barrel.

I did try some Universal 5.6g - 6.5g OAL 1.61 with a factory crimp.

I think I'll stay with the Unique. All loaded behind a 158g LSWC bullet.
A pause for the COZ

Post by A pause for the COZ »

I use this load a whole lot. Its cuts the bull out at a 100 yards with my Rossi and shoots great out of my Ruger Black hawk.

I use the LEE 125 gr RNFP sized to .358
I load that ahead of 6gr of Herco. 5 gr of Unique gives me the same results.
125gr for me seems to be the sweet spot for my M92 with the 1 in 30 twist.

I also like the Lyman 155 gr SWC gas checked ahead of 10gr of Bule Dot.
Wills Point Pete

Post by Wills Point Pete »

It's hard to beat Unique for small game loads with cast bullets. It's easy to go from 800-1000 fps in a revolver, add a couple hundred fps in a carbine or rifle.

For hotter loads I'm partial to LilGun. When it was new I ran some loads through an Oehler Mod 43 Personal Ballistics Lab and found I could beat 2000 fps with the Hornady 158 XTP hollowpoint and stay below the max pressure. I've used these loads with cast bullets, too. With max loads of LilGun and a cast bullet try a card wad over the powder and then a dab of bullet lube under the bullet, once we get past 1800 FPS the lube in the groove(s) isn't really enough.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

When I had my 357 Magnums, I used WW231 for light loads and IMR4227 for the faster loads. The 357s were used for varmints as I had other rifles/handguns for bigger game.

We were issued the so called Treasury load where I worked so I duplicated that load in 38 Special. It was +P+, about 1200 fps from a 4 inch revolver. I used the 231 for that and a Sierra 110 gr HP Blitz bullet. Shot a lot of varmints with that load out in the dessert. Works great. Hits in the chest were an instant kill. The Rossi M92 extended the range a bit and was very accurate. Fed just fine too.

I also worked up a load in 357 Magnum cases. Used the 125 gr Sierra bullet in HP form. IMR4227 proved to be very accurate, the most accurate 357 load to date. Not a top speed load but I shot some groups at 100 yards that were noteworthy. This load easily grouped into an inch or less at 25 yards from a good number of 357 Magnum revolvers. I am thinking of getting another R92 in 357 Magnum for varmints here ( I have 2 44 Magnums now) and this will be the first load I will try. Most manuals list IMR4227 so just use the start load and work up to the best accuracy in your rifle if you want to try it. I tried a number of other 125 grain bullets but the Sierra was just a shade more accurate.