Rio Grande Hunt in Nambia SW Africa!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Hi All, just thought I will give an update in what I have started here .. rifle licensing done, Rossi 30-30 received about a month ago. I Mounted a 2-7x33 Leopold with QD warne rings. My hunting trip to the Kalahari in the South East of Namibia is booked and paid for 29 May to 4 June 2022. Going to try and shoot an Oryx and a Springbuck or 2 with the Rossi .. +- 180m distance with American white tail 150gr. I have zeroed the gun at 150m and shooting a 5" grouping at this distance and about 5" lower at 200m and 5" higher at 100m. The gun is smoothed out after following suggestions from the forum on how to treat a new Rossi. I am extremely happy with the buy and performance of the gun. I might make a video of the hunting trip and post the YouTube link on here in 3 weeks time if allowed, if you guys are interested? I have fired PPU 170gr + S&B 150gr + the AWT 150gr through it without any misfires or hang ups whatsoever .. smooth as butter.. my fears of getting a dud was for nothing.
HAKUNA MATATA !
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Hunt was a huge success .. Gemsbok hunt with Rossi 30-30, buck only walked 30m. 170m heart/lung shot. Hornady American white tail 150gr bullet used. Found in opposite rib cage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HAKUNA MATATA !
Kazi

Re: Rio Grande Hunt in Nambia SW Africa!

Post by Kazi »

The previous photo was a head shot at 120m. The one below was the heart/lung shot at 170m. New respect for the 30-30 bullet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HAKUNA MATATA !
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

The 30-30 has taken more whitetails than any other cartridge. And a few gemsboks, too!
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

If your close shots are 150 yards, a 3x9 might serve you better. I've got a 3-9 Leupold Rifleman which is light and unobtrusive for its magnification and leaves nothing to desired in optical clarity or reliability in adjustment.
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Hi Sarge, yes I agree.. but the 2-7 is all you will need up to 200m and fits the small rifle like a glove. My next hunt will be more in a bushveld environment where the 2x magnification would be better, specially if something jumps out of a bush at close range.
HAKUNA MATATA !
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

I have read so many stories that the 30-30 should not be used to hunt Oryx above 150m due to the animal being so tough but I can tell you that the 30-30 should be capable of killing these animal's at 200m with the right shot placement. I am sure an Eland van easily be killed humanely at 120m.
HAKUNA MATATA !