357 magnum ammo availability

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Conformist

Re: 357 magnum ammo availability

Post by Conformist »

Have you considered looking on ammoseek.com? Maybe try something like this?
https://www.laxammo.com/lax-ammunition- ... can-detail
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. Rod Serling

Our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of our freedoms is not necessary.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

It's interesting that, whilst you guys have all the access to all manner of firearms - ordinary and exotic, you are experiencing a famine of ammo..!! Yet we, over here in GB, may not have all the 'toys' to play with you guys have but we've not had any problems getting ammo - of any calibre. In fact my LGS had a large delivery at the weekend consisting of most popular calibres, 9mm, .357, .38, .22LR etc. I believe there's another shipment on the way bring in .40, .44, .45 as well. I think most of it comes either from Croatia or Italy. No matter, it always goes bang..!! :D +guns :D
Last edited by ManxTom on 12 Apr 2022 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

The reality of what you say is true. But you should then factor in a very real difference in the comparative size of each of our overall populations and the percentage of that population which are the consumers of a particular product (ammo). America, I'm quite confident, has a very real larger number of consumers that are straining current production and import capabilities.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Indeed, Gunny, I understand exactly what you're saying. The percentage of shooters here, of whatever flavour, is tiny by comparison to the USA. But I do think we punch above our weight in comparison to other, larger European countries.
One think I can say is that over the last two years or so ammo prices have not risen by more than 1%-1.5% year on year. They are very stable - thankfully.
.22LR, .357 and .38 and 9mm are my favoured calibres and are in plentiful supply.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

I was in the tractor supply store today, and they must have had 40-50 boxes of 500 rounds each in 9mm.
a couple of cases of 223, a bunch of shot shells of different types, and various other rifle and pistol ammo in 20 and 50 count boxes.
I didn't look overly close since I don't buy factory ammo.
it looked fairly close to what they had pre pandemic, except for no 22 ammo I could see right off.

the sportsmans warehouse down in Pocatello has had the same sort of shelf filling ammo for a couple of months now, but I ain't looked too close to see exactly what they have or what it costs.

I would imagine some of it has to be 357 mag, there is an awful lot of stuff sitting there.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

ManxTom. I've got to admit that I am a wee bit jealous. Sounds like you are experiencing now what we, over here, would be calling, "the good ole days."
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Gunny268 wrote:ManxTom. I've got to admit that I am a wee bit jealous. Sounds like you are experiencing now what we, over here, would be calling, "the good ole days."
I think you might be right. .22LR has never been a problem to get hold of. We have the age old company of Eley here who have been making ammo since 1828 and their speciality is rimfire ammo. There is quite a bit of Lapua ammo around too, but that's not cheap in any way - even once fired Lapua brass fetches top money..!!
There is, of course, all the Euro ammo as well, Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, Prvi Partizan is very popular.

All in all we are doing ok on the ammo front. Just finding the damn time to get to shoot it can be a pain in the butt though.. :D
RSTOCKER53

Post by RSTOCKER53 »

I have found 44, 357, and 38sp locally. $45 to 50 per box. May need to start reloading.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Oh, I started reloading 40+ years ago, but not for any real economic reasons. I wanted to develop accurate loadings for each of my firearms. Back then, you could save some money because of the lower component costs. But today, geez. Costs for components such as powder and primers (if you can find them) have skyrocketed. Almost to the point where a reloaded cartridge costs as much to make as a brand-new manufactured round.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I learned to reload and cast so I could be self-sufficient in the event ammo became too expensive or unavailable. I bought discount components in bulk while I could in the event they became too expensive or unavailable. I bought equipment and tools a little at a time to learn my best way and to have time to explore different methods in the event they became too expensive or unavailable. I bought a certain quantity of OEM ammo for each cartridge to either use or barter in the future in the event it became too expensive or unavailable.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.