Buckhorn sight vs recoil

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
rjsetford

Buckhorn sight vs recoil

Post by rjsetford »

Here's one I haven't be able to resolve yet.

Downloading .44mag to .44spl significantly reduces recoil and also means that I can use the 92 on the indoor range at my local club.

I do shoot on the outdoor range but when using magnum rounds, the recoil will kick the buckhorn back thus affecting elevation. I don't fancy welding it in place so has anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers,

Rich
Fully paid-up member of DNA (National Dyslexics Association)

If you're a muso, check out my website [url]www.tonefinder.net[/url]

Rossi M92 .357mag/.38spl
Rossi R92 .44mag
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Buckhorn sight vs recoil

Post by Archer »

The Buckhorn itself shouldn't be moving as it's attached to a leaf spring stuck to the dovetail wedge.
My guess is that what's happening is the elevator is slipping forward.
You might try a new elevator or you may try pulling the rear sight and bending it to put more friction on the elevator against the barrel or even roughing up the barrel surface a little. I'd advise checking out a new elevator first.

There are elevators on ebay has angled notches instead of the horizontal ones that Rossi uses. That might prevent the slippage. They run about $15 on ebay. Search term 'Winchester Rear Sight Elevator' check the thickness against the one on your rifle.
Brownells is another source. I might also check out Numrich Gun Parts but they aren't usually the best once you add in shipping and handling for small orders.

One of the members replaced his with one from a BB gun.

I note I haven't had the issue and I shoot full power .44 mag out of two guns that have the horizontal elevator steps and .357/.38 out of a third.
rjsetford

Post by rjsetford »

Thanks Archer, yes that's exactly what's occurring. Good call on trying to 'adjust' the rear sight by increasing it's friction. I'll certainly give that a try.
Fully paid-up member of DNA (National Dyslexics Association)

If you're a muso, check out my website [url]www.tonefinder.net[/url]

Rossi M92 .357mag/.38spl
Rossi R92 .44mag
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Rich.. it might be worth contacting South Yorkshire Shooting (Rimfiremagic) as they do Rossi lever gun stuff.. or they used to.
You may run into problems sourcing stuff from the US, I know I have. Suppliers need to have an export licence and, for the amount they sell to the UK, it just doesn't pay them to get a licence. Bloody ITAR rules and all that crap..!!
The only stuff Brownells UK has for Rossi's are tang sights and spring sets..!!
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Immediately after getting my first R92 (44 mag) in 2013, the factory elevator started slipping off setting. I removed it and filed one of the "steps" a bit to help it hold position. It worked better, but then I realized that the elevation steps were fairly coarse in their setting ability, Fortunately, while studying the R92 at the cleaning bench, I looked around and an old Daisy pellet gun caught my eye. It had what looked like an elevator with much finer shaped steps, and a lot more of them (more adjustable). I took it off the old Daisy and put in on the R92, and that issue was immediately resolved. Not long after that, I put a NOE rail and Weaver Scout Scope on that particular R92, but had just traded a revolver for a slightly used R92 in .357 mag. I don't remember making more than one range trip to test the overall performance of it before putting the old Daisy sight elevator on. I've never had an issue with the sight leaf jumping with that sharply cut Daisy elevator.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

One more thing, ensure the elevator is not turned backwards. The steps should go up as you go forward on the elevator.

Here's another couple sources of potential parts:
https://homesteadparts.com/shop/sights- ... 7_167.html
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005883383
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100588345?pid=395311

You can modify the angles on the original part or even cut a part out of sheet metal without much of an issue.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

rjsetford wrote:Here's one I haven't be able to resolve yet.

Downloading .44mag to .44spl significantly reduces recoil and also means that I can use the 92 on the indoor range at my local club.

I do shoot on the outdoor range but when using magnum rounds, the recoil will kick the buckhorn back thus affecting elevation. I don't fancy welding it in place so has anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers,

Rich
It's a design flaw. I've had two R92 45 Colts and both of them would jump down a step with in 2-3 shots using heavy loads. IIRC I fitted a spare Winchester 94 rear sight to the first one and that cured it.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

In case anyone hasn't come to terms with that wedge, the taller part should be towards the rear, not the front. Narrow part rearward make 'em jump.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

?

so don't shoot them the way they come from the factory?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

I just looked at my .357 92s, and they're all oriented with the taller end toward the muzzle. Interestingly, one has steps that are level, while the other has steps that are at a slight angle, giving it a more sawtooth look.