I'm confused..!!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ManxTom

I'm confused..!!

Post by ManxTom »

Not that it's a rare thing these days, but I've been looking at the Rossi website trying to find details of the R92 I'm getting.. Nothing showing..!!

Now I know it's an R92. I know it's in .357 /.38. I know it has a 20" octagonal barrel, and I know it has an end cap on the fore-end. But there is nothing on the website that matches what I know about the one I'm getting.
Does Rossi have an 'older models' or discontinued models list anywhere that anyone knows about??

Friday can't come soon enough..!!!!

For reference:

https://rossiusa.com/firearms/lever-action-rifles
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: I'm confused..!!

Post by Archer »

AFAIK, Rossi maintains NO ARCHIVE information.
Further they have a very un-American view of customer service.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Archer wrote:AFAIK, Rossi maintains NO ARCHIVE information.
Further they have a very un-American view of customer service.
So it seems..!! Nothing like the customer service I've been party to when visiting friends in MS, LA, NY and DC.

And they just lurve a British accent down south.. :D

I'll post some photos when I get the R92 for comparison. They may well be someone out there in RR land who can offer some suggestions. Just had a thought; I don't suppose Rossi made European market models..??
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

ManxTom wrote:Not that it's a rare thing these days, but I've been looking at the Rossi website trying to find details of the R92 I'm getting..
Can you let us know what "details" your looking for?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The details of your rifle have been bothering me since you first posted. Lots of odd variants were made along the way during the last 40 years but I have never seen a 20" octagon with a long rifle end cap...I don't think.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

GasGuzzler wrote:The details of your rifle have been bothering me since you first posted. Lots of odd variants were made along the way during the last 40 years but I have never seen a 20" octagon with a long rifle end cap...I don't think.
If the 'details' have been bothering you.. imagine what I'm experiencing..!!! Bottom line really is that I know the rifle is ok, I know it's coming from a reliable source. BUT.. we do love to know as much as we possibly can about our firearms. Imagine this.. I have a Taurus M669 .357 / .38 revolver. It's identical to the Taurus 686 with one difference. The 686 has a vented rib. On YouTube there are only TWO video reviews of the M669..!! TWO..!! Online there there are very little reviews/information. So frustrating. So you can imagine how I'm feeling regarding the M92.

I will certainly post photos when I get it. I'm sure there are some hugely knowledgeable members of this forum who will cast an eye over them and give their opinions. (well, here's hoping they will)
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

GasGuzzler wrote:The details of your rifle have been bothering me since you first posted. Lots of odd variants were made along the way during the last 40 years but I have never seen a 20" octagon with a long rifle end cap...I don't think.
AFAIK, ALL octagonal barrel Rossi 92s were in the rifle configuration.
That is to say, All the ones I've seen had the rifle stock that is about an inch longer than the carbine stock with the crescent buttplate AND the forend had the metallic nose cap on it. Didn't matter if they were 20" or 24" barrels.

All the round barreled ones were using the carbine stock and barrel bands.

Winchester on the other hand did a little more mixing and matching and weapons of the period could I think be special ordered in at least some years so that you might get a flat 'shotgun' style buttplate. Obviously given the hassle and expense of such a custom order these might be somewhat few and far between.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Here's my Rossi R92 with a 20" Oct barrel
dek1165

Post by dek1165 »

I've owned two 357 Rossi's with octagonal barrels, both 20" , one in stainless and one blued and both look like the one above apart from one being stainless.
Great shooting, fun guns that's balance well. You'll be reet so don't worry and enjoy shooting the snot out them!
They do best up brass a bit.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

golfish wrote:Here's my Rossi R92 with a 20" Oct barrel
That looks exactly like the one I'm getting. Do you know what year yours is? The serial number on mine is SH0149832. Is this similar to yours??

Thanks for posting those photos.. :)