Are these safe in my R92?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ManxTom

Are these safe in my R92?

Post by ManxTom »

Got to thinking about ammo. Now I never had a problem years ago with the Winchester 94 I had, but I guess now I'm older you begin to ask more "what if" questions.

So here we go.. I shoot Fiocchi .38 special, 158grain FMJ through my Taurus M669, Nice to shoot, but would they be safe, given they are FMJ and Round Nosed, in the R92?

https://fiocchi.com/en/700390.html

And I also have some Magtech .38 special 158 grain Lead Round Nose. Would these be safe also?

https://magtechammunition.com/products/ ... 8gr-lrn-2/

I don't recall ever having problems all those years ago. Then again if a primer had gone off I doubt I'd be sitting here posting this..!!
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Are these safe in my R92?

Post by Reese-Mo »

As you already know, the rule of the day is flat point in a center fire tubular magazine.

As far as overall safety, your new '92 will handle anything to the limit of the 357 case, which is beyond just about any sort of revolver's capability, save perhaps the 357 Redhawk, which was (is?) a beast.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

LRN's are generally considered safe.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

IF the lead stuff is soft there's little chance of it causing any problem.
Think round nosed .30-30s don't cause any issue. Yeah the rifle primers are a little harder than normal pistol primers AND with jacketed rounds the cores tend to be pretty soft BUT there's a heck of a lot more recoil in the .30-30 and the large primers are just that much bigger around than the small ones used in .38 OR .357.
Even if it's hard cast it's unlikely to set off the primer.

Probably the same for the jacketed stuff. You can look at the curve of the bullet and do a sweep of the angles permitted by the mag tube and feeding process vs. the primer diameter for a worst case tolerance study. It's probably a 4 to 7 thou sort of number. That said, one primer that's a bit more sensitive than expected, seated a bit higher than it should be, could be enough to ruin your whole week.