LAUGH? I COULD HAVE CRIED..!!!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ManxTom

LAUGH? I COULD HAVE CRIED..!!!

Post by ManxTom »

My first post here was asking about the Rossi R92 which I'd taken a fancy to and, so I mistakenly thought, I could source through a gun shop I've used for the last 25 years. So I contacted them and asked the question..

"I would like a Rossi '92 in .357 with the octagonal 24" barrel, blued please.."

"OK.. we'll have to check what stock are available, I'll get back to you".

Well he did get back to me, about twenty minutes ago. What did he say..??

"There will be no Rossi's available in Great Britain for the next TWO YEARS..".

TWO years..!! Ok, on to Plan B. All sorted, I have sourced a R92 with a 20" octagonal barrel, blued and with one careful owner. This is going to cost half of the current list price (if they were available). God knows what sort of prices they will sell for once they do arrive in this country..!!

Just goes to show it's always good to have a Plan B. :D
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: LAUGH? I COULD HAVE CRIED..!!!

Post by Reese-Mo »

Is there vat on private transactions
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Unfortunately there is..!! I guess I can add another £100 to the £395 sale price. Cost of transfer to my firearms dealer and his charge for handing it. I'm not so bothered as I'm saving around £300 on the price of a brand new R92.
I don't know the guy who's selling the rifle, he's got a firearms business, so I made a few phone calls to 'people I know' and trust and their reports to me were glowing, saying he's a good guy and can be trusted. And the website it was advertised on is reputable.

There is one fundamental difference between our system and that of the US. Whereby you can go into a gun shop and pay for a rifle etc., you then have to wait for the background check. Here you go in, they check your firearms certificate (FAC), which will show both what you have and what you can purchase, then you pay, they add it to your FAC and off you go. Your FAC IS your background check in that if there was something in your background you wouldn't have been granted the licence. (You have to list any offences against you on your application for an FAC.. even traffic..!!)
You can count, on one hand, the number of gun related crimes committed by a FAC holder. Usually it's illegally held firearms.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Welcome and good luck with your purchase.

I bought a couple of them early last year but I haven't seen a new one local for months.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

ManxTom wrote: There is one fundamental difference between our system and that of the US. Whereby you can go into a gun shop and pay for a rifle etc., you then have to wait for the background check.....
Except for recent pandemic era, the background check was only a few minutes. It is "supposed" to be an "instant background check". States vary with checks combined with "mandatory wait times" though. Here in Florida swampland, if you have a carry permit, there's no additional wait, past the few minutes for the background check.

We do have a form to fill out, that takes all of 2 minutes, or three if your forget your pensioner's specs, like I usually do (bright light... someplace please!).

The uptick, and I don't wish this to be political, just factual, is that we can own as many arms as we care to buy, of nearly any sort, even fully automatic machine guns, if we have the money. Those take a bit of a wait though, like... about a year currently. Mine took 8 months for each of them. And, depending on the state, we can carry concealed, or openly, and as many as we like (not that more than two is really all that practical). Arms in vehicles are no problem in most states. Ammunition types and quantity have very very few restrictions, and armor piercing is allowed. Some states ban teflon coated handgun ammo, flechettes, bolo rounds, and "dragons breath".

I have a young friend from Switzerland. She came to visit a few years back and was aghast that I was walking down the high street, during a very large motorcycling rally (think 250,000 bikes), and carrying a concealed handgun. Mores vary I suppose, but its the common place in my locale. Once, a rider's organization I belong to had to switch banks, due to the availability of branches at the newly installed treasurer's town of residence. So the corporate officers (which was me and three others) went to the bank to fill out the paperwork. Of course, in full leathers. The very sweet young lady handling things, asked for further identification beyond our driver's licenses. All four of us, without discussion, presented our carry permit. Some laughter ensued. Not by the young lady though....
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Reese-Mo wrote:
ManxTom wrote: There is one fundamental difference between our system and that of the US. Whereby you can go into a gun shop and pay for a rifle etc., you then have to wait for the background check.....
Except for recent pandemic era, the background check was only a few minutes. It often is while the clerk is still on the phone with the agency, or maybe 10 or 15 minutes of waiting. It is "supposed" to be an "instant background check". Stores like the brief wait, as it gets "accessory sales" time with the customer. States vary with checks also combined with "mandatory wait times" though. Here in Florida swampland, if you have a carry permit, there's no additional wait, past the few minutes for the background check.

We do have a form to fill out, that takes all of 2 minutes, or three if your forget your pensioner's specs, like I usually do (bright light... someplace please!).

The uptick, and I don't wish this to be political, just factual, is that we can own as many arms as we care to buy, of nearly any sort, even fully automatic machine guns, if we have the money. Those take a bit of a wait though, like... about a year currently. Mine took 8 months for each of them. All those arms can be kept at home, fully loaded if desired, and ready for use (although I prefer to keep things safe and only keep a few loaded and at the ready). And, in almost every state, we can carry concealed, or openly, and as many as we like (not that more than two is really all that practical). Arms in vehicles are no problem in most states. Ammunition types and quantity have very very few restrictions, and armor piercing is allowed. Some states ban teflon coated handgun ammo, flechettes, bolo rounds, and "dragons breath".

I have a young friend from Switzerland. She came to visit a few years back and was aghast that I was walking down the high street, during a very large motorcycling rally (think 250,000 bikes), and carrying a concealed handgun. Mores vary I suppose, but its the common place in my locale. Once, a rider's organization I belong to had to switch banks, due to the availability of branches at the newly installed treasurer's town of residence. So the corporate officers (which was me and three others) went to the bank to fill out the paperwork. Of course, in full leathers. The very sweet young lady handling things, asked for further identification beyond our driver's licenses. All four of us, without discussion, presented our carry permit. Some laughter ensued. Not by the young lady though....
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

And I forgot to add.... BEST OF LUCK with the new (pre-loved) '92. PICTURES man, PICTURES!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

as far as wait time in Texas, if one has a "License to Carry" (which now I believe is 4-5% of the 27 million population) there IS NO background check wait time .... just fill out the standard federal 4473 paper, pay the dealer, and you're on your way. The last few gun purchases I made (pre-2016), I already knew what I was looking for and knew where it was in the gun shop, unless the dealer/ffl was tied up with a real customer at the time (I didn't count ... being a "regular" in most of my favorite shops :) ), I could easily be in and out the door with my gun purchase in less than 10 minutes. I never bought a gun at Academy, but I have heard that they make the idiotic call regardless of one's carry license.

Buying or trading face to face with an individual (regarding all laws of course) can be less that a minute, and no silly papers to deal with.

I was only 15 years old in 1968 when the nasty "Gun Control Act" was passed. Before that, Sears and Roebuck, Montgomery Wards and other "big box" businesses had a huge lineup of firearms in their catalogues. You could order from the catalogue and (in my little neck of the woods) they would deliver to your local "pick-up" outlet and you would walk in and pay (usually cash) and walk out with your new gun.
Some would be delivered to your post office, if prepaid.

I miss rotary dial

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I miss toasters that actually toast bread the first time.

Or being able to buy a gallon of gas AND 10 pieces of Bazooka gum..... for a quarter.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Half the List Price is a great deal! Even before the 2020 Panic, used firearms in the US were rarely that inexpensive. In cases where a new firearm was available, 80% of retail was more typical. Nowadays, none of the old rules apply.

Shortening the wait time is a big reason that I maintain my Concealed Weapons Permit. Still, it's annoying that I need to pay 25 USD to my FFL to process the form. But he's a nice guy, and I usually have some other gunsmithery business to conduct. And he's cheap. FFL's charge 25 - 50 USD.

My purchases are split between auctions (live & internet), gun shows (usually private sales) and retail shops. Transaction costs can add up quickly. Sales taxes (from zero to 10%, depending on the US State) are only avoided on private sales. Most gun-specific auction sites charge the seller, but others add a "buyer's premium" of 12%-20% of the hammer price. Shipping is another bite (25 - 40 USD). Some auction sites will add fees for packaging, handling and processing (5 - 25 USD). Since I factor in all the costs, I can't compete with live bidders when it's a combination live/internet auction.