Ladder Sights on a '92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ManxTom

Ladder Sights on a '92

Post by ManxTom »

I will be getting a R92 in the next week or so and I was wondering it fitting ladder sights to it would be an option. I really like the classic 'old style' look of ladder sights but my concern is that I'm only going to be shooting 25m and 50m and wonder if they can be set low enough.

Any suggestions regarding this would be most welcome.

PS: I have looked at both the Marbles tang sight and the bullseye ghost ring.. not too fussed on either really.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Ladder Sights on a '92

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Ah, I should have read both posts. Receiving soon, then.

Yes, I think ladder sights will have you shooting too high at those short ranges. However, I believe Skinner will provide a front sight high enough to accommodate.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Just a thought.... Express Sights?
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

To be honest I think they are on a par with buckhorn and semi-buckhorn. Truth be told it's more form rather than function, I just love the appearance. Having said that, if I had the cash I'd go after a Malcolm scope and fittings. Now that would look uber cool...!!

thank you for your thoughts.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

It may just be me, but I just don't think "ladder sights" are really appropriate on anything less than 24" barrel, with exception of possibly some 22" barrels. JMO

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

mr surveyor wrote:It may just be me, but I just don't think "ladder sights" are really appropriate on anything less than 24" barrel, with exception of possibly some 22" barrels. JMO

jd
The one I'm getting is 20" octagonal. Love the look, hence my question re ladder sights. I'll probably end up with a Marbles tang mounted sight.. sigh :(
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

ManxTom wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:It may just be me, but I just don't think "ladder sights" are really appropriate on anything less than 24" barrel, with exception of possibly some 22" barrels. JMO

jd
The one I'm getting is 20" octagonal. Love the look, hence my question re ladder sights. I'll probably end up with a Marbles tang mounted sight.. sigh :(
I have Marbles mounted on both of mine (45 Colt and 357 Mag) both 20 inch. My old eye likes having that aperture close. Mine are both the new style and have several posts.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

jd[/quote]

The one I'm getting is 20" octagonal. Love the look, hence my question re ladder sights. I'll probably end up with a Marbles tang mounted sight.. sigh :([/quote]

Why not get what you want?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Do what you like and what works for you.
I really like the Marbles tang sights. Aperture with a long sight radius is hard to beat.

I have ladder sights on a 1903 Springfield, 1917 Enfield, a 1896 Swede Mauser and a M38 Husqvarna Swede Mauser. At least the Enfield has the sight close to the eye. I wish I'd been able to pick up a later WWII Remington produced 1903 Springfield I ran up on. Not as slick as the earlier 1903s but better sights and stronger steel.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

ManxTom wrote:
PS: I have looked at both the Marbles tang sight and the bullseye ghost ring.. not too fussed on either really.
I use the bullseye ghost ring sights on my R92s. There's a good chance that you'll have to replace the front sight, all of mine have been to short and unusable except for the 2 CBC guns, even with those two I have to set the rear sight as low as possible..