My impression of my r92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Tommag

My impression of my r92

Post by Tommag »

I've seen some folks have good luck with newer 92s, smoothness wise. I took mine apart, flushed it with brake cleaner, and lightly greased the internals with sfl 0 weight grease. I cycled it about 100 times and it is pretty danged smooth. I think I got lucky, or rossi has improved.
It fed .357 with 160wfn cast without a hitch, as well as keith type 173gr wc. (Both sized to .360 and lubes with Ben's liquid lube.) Factory jacketed 38spl 125hp fed flawlessly as well. I tried 38 wadcutters and they fed as long as there was only one in the magazine. Two or more and it allowed the second round out of the tube, jamming it. I don't remember exactly how much ba10 I loaded the wc with, I'm thinking about 2.5 grs. Less report than a 22, and I checked the bore to make sure they cleared the muzzle. I've got a 105 gr swc mould and I think that would be fun for quiet plinking with a similar charge of ba10 or bullseye.
All in all, I'm happy with mine.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: My impression of my r92

Post by Reese-Mo »

Its not so much the "smooth" but the force of lever open/close as the ejector spring is compressed.
Tommag

Post by Tommag »

I did replace the ejector spring, as well as the magazine follower.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

REMEMBER!
A load that is quite sufficient to exit the bore in summer weather MAY not have the energy to overcome the environmental thermal delta and still exit safely during cold weather. The energy liberated from the combustion reaction at 80 degrees is quite different than when it's 35 degrees F.
Tommag

Post by Tommag »

Archer wrote:REMEMBER!
A load that is quite sufficient to exit the bore in summer weather MAY not have the energy to overcome the environmental thermal delta and still exit safely during cold weather. The energy liberated from the combustion reaction at 80 degrees is quite different than when it's 35 degrees F.

Good point. I only fired 5 of the wc loads and checked the bore after every shot, as I was thinking about stuck bullets.