My new Ugly .357 R92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: My new Ugly .357 R92

Post by Reese-Mo »

Might be the place the collar wants to live tho.
dpowers92

Post by dpowers92 »

Reese-Mo wrote:Did you fiddly-futz with the ejector spring? That would explain things.

In the Rossi bolt, or at least _my_ Rossi bolt, the ejector spring collar and shaft on the ejector itself have a very casual relationship. The collar which should be captured on the the pinned-in arm in the bolt.... doesn't really want to stay there. In my Winchester (Miroku) the fit it solid, and the arm captures the collar perfectly, not letting it slip loose. However... in _my_ Rossi, the collar will slip off after (or sometimes during) assembly, and then it will rest on the pin that connects the lever to the bolt.

I know at least some Rossi rifles have a good, or better fit of those parts. That is evidenced from online video that shows the lever being removed from the action, after driving out the pin. And then reinserted without having to mess with the bolt at all. The only way that could happen is if the collar stayed in place.

What's this all mean? It means that if the collar has "slipped" then there is less ejector spring tension. That accounts for empties falling closer.

The ejector on the 92's (all of 'em) is an interesting affair. It works in conjunction with the top of the chamber, and really, the speed of lever manipulation as well.

Play this in slow motion and you'll see

That's the best '92 workings explanation I''ve ever seen.

As for the last round not ejecting... that's weird, unless the ejector spring has been fiddly-futz'd with, and the collar has slipped off. Ideally, with the collar in whatever place it wants to be (it works fine against the pin, just has less tension), the ejection process should eject UNFIRED cartridges with heavy bullets. Since a lot of folks don't have 180 or 200 g .357's laying about, I'd speculate that snappy ejection of 158's is the order of the day.

So I have not messed with the ejector spring...other than reinstall after take apart. So no real issues there.
Yes the collar has slipped off before during bolt install but I take it out again and reinstall it again.

The last round casing does not eject even if I forcefully operate the lever. I have used 38/38+p. Hornadys hallowpoints. Heavy 357 in the 150 grain range.
Still fails to eject the last round casing.

But every round cycles and fires smoothly.
So I really can't visually see why this problem exists.

Talked to Steve today his DVD and otherwise should fix or narrow down the issue:) Nice guy knows a lot.

Thanks for the video will watch it in a few.
Sometimes the collar will catch immediately on the dogleg. Other times I have to put the dummy round underneath it than I install the bolt and the color catches..../nothing falls out.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

my 16" stainless (.357) R92 will also often choke on the last round, unless I jack it pretty hard. Shooting from the bench I rarely loose count while I'm shooting (I've learned well how to count to five). I can "soft cycle" the first four rounds and usually catch my brass on the bench, but that ain't gonna happen on the last round. It's either "soft cycle" it and turn the gun upside down to shake the brass out, or bigboy rack the lever, send the brass flying, and bother the guy on the next shooting bench.

I've learned to accept it for what it is. As much as I shoot the thing, I've started thinking I might ought to slow down and not wear it out. I know that finding spare parts is about like finding Fairy Dust or Unicorn turds

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!