My new Ugly .357 R92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jstanfield103

My new Ugly .357 R92

Post by jstanfield103 »

Guy's/Gal's

I have not had a Winchester style action for several years, I like the side ejecting Marlins mostly.

I have been in my LGS several times over the past month and always looking for a Lever 357/38. They showed me a Citadel LevTac 357, Tactical lever gun really. Nope not interested in a Black Lever. So I was in there again yesterday talking with Friend/Owner and looked at that 357 again. Picked it up this time and it just hit me. This thing feels great in my hand. I always have to cut my Levers down to 12.5" LOP. This thing was already at 12.5" LOP.

Never heard of Citadel so asked the owner about them. They look just like a Rossi R92, in fact the model is a LevTac R92. Sure enough, built in Brazil by CBC I believe owned by Taurus. Life Time warranty.

This thing has an M-Lok forearm plastic butt stock, 16" threaded barrel and Big Loop Lever. With rail and peep sight on her. Just down right comfortable to shoot.

Bought her and got her home. First thing put a sling on her and the front swivel that is pressed in came off the forearm. No big deal had a swivel with machine threads and a nut so all fixed up and better than new. Next wrapped the lever with some Nylon string. Took her to the range today. Out of the box set as low as possible it was shooting about 3" high at 25 yards. Moved the rear sight lower than it allows (the sight Allen screw does not touch the rail at this low setting. The sight is half off the rail. So I took the rail off and drilled the underneath of it and threaded it for a Allen screw. Put the sight back on where I had set it and all good. Rear sight nice and tight and will not move. It is now as low as it will go and shooting approx. .5" high with 38 and dead on with 357 at 25 yards. I only hunt steel plates so that's great for me.

I am extremely happy with this rifle. I would have never thought, will it replace my Marlins. Nope, but I bet I shoot it more than my Marlins. Did not have a hiccup with it. Not my style rifle but just a great comfortable shooter. Holds 10 rounds 38 and 6 in 357.

HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: My new Ugly .357 R92

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Very nice! Glad that you’re happy. Not everyone would be so pleased with having to fix a new rifle, but that’s Rossi for ya. The thing I like best about these tacticool levers is the threaded barrel. I’ve recently discovered linear compensators. Inexpensive, light, a bit of noise reduction, and not rude to your neighbors on the shooting line.
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

I may look into those compensators,
Thanks
aether_Tech

Post by aether_Tech »

I was looking at these on gunbroker for a while, but never pulled the trigger on a account of not knowing much about them.

So, basically ,they are just Taurus - Rossi 92's but in 'tacti-cool' flavour?

Hows the action run out of the box?
One smooth brain cell.
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

You are exactly correct,
They are Rossi 92's. I have had no problems so far with the action. I am happy with the way it is made also. Seems to me that other than the few little items that I fixed.

1. sling swivel on forearm
2. Loading gate very stiff (filed the spring down on sides and polished the spring sides) now good.
3. Magazine spring to long for rifle. They use the same spring in the 24" that they use in this rifle. Cut 3" off now good to go, easier to load. The rest seems good.
Joe S.

Post by Joe S. »

Pretty neat. I put a similar one together from a Marlin CST.

While I am a blued and wood fan, i do enjoy “tactical “ leverguns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe S.
Central MS

Leverguns, single actions, and single shots.
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

Joe,
That is a nice looking outfit. Well done.
dpowers92

Post by dpowers92 »

jstanfield103 wrote:You are exactly correct,
They are Rossi 92's. I have had no problems so far with the action. I am happy with the way it is made also. Seems to me that other than the few little items that I fixed.

1. sling swivel on forearm
2. Loading gate very stiff (filed the spring down on sides and polished the spring sides) now good.
3. Magazine spring to long for rifle. They use the same spring in the 24" that they use in this rifle. Cut 3" off now good to go, easier to load. The rest seems good.

Citadel LevTac 357
I just bought one of these about a month ago.
Love the feel and accuracy of this rifle. No real issues with the sling stud or really with the loading gate/ although it could be a little easier.

First impressions from the shooting range trip;
The rifle is accurate.
The sights were pretty dead on at 5o yards. Needed minor tweaking and I got them sighted in.

Issues I am having:
The last round empty casing is not ejecting in both 357/38.

I took the rifle apart/smoothed multiple surfaces that were rough. Cut 2 inches off the magazine spring and it's easier to load now. I cycled/not fired some rounds and they do cycle in and out really without issues. Although when I first got the rifle the rounds would eject quite a ways and now that I have put the gun back to gather after cleaning.....the rounds eject near me/sometimes on the receiver causing issues unless I really jerk the lever. Anyone know what's up with this?

I go back to the range tomorrow so we will see if the modifications have helped and or solved the ejection issue. I contacted Steve and he said that the ejector is sticking. I don't really know what that means?
I did get his kit and hopefully it will be here before the weekend.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Did you fiddly-futz with the ejector spring? That would explain things.

In the Rossi bolt, or at least _my_ Rossi bolt, the ejector spring collar and shaft on the ejector itself have a very casual relationship. The collar which should be captured on the the pinned-in arm in the bolt.... doesn't really want to stay there. In my Winchester (Miroku) the fit it solid, and the arm captures the collar perfectly, not letting it slip loose. However... in _my_ Rossi, the collar will slip off after (or sometimes during) assembly, and then it will rest on the pin that connects the lever to the bolt.

I know at least some Rossi rifles have a good, or better fit of those parts. That is evidenced from online video that shows the lever being removed from the action, after driving out the pin. And then reinserted without having to mess with the bolt at all. The only way that could happen is if the collar stayed in place.

What's this all mean? It means that if the collar has "slipped" then there is less ejector spring tension. That accounts for empties falling closer.

The ejector on the 92's (all of 'em) is an interesting affair. It works in conjunction with the top of the chamber, and really, the speed of lever manipulation as well.

Play this in slow motion and you'll see

That's the best '92 workings explanation I''ve ever seen.

As for the last round not ejecting... that's weird, unless the ejector spring has been fiddly-futz'd with, and the collar has slipped off. Ideally, with the collar in whatever place it wants to be (it works fine against the pin, just has less tension), the ejection process should eject UNFIRED cartridges with heavy bullets. Since a lot of folks don't have 180 or 200 g .357's laying about, I'd speculate that snappy ejection of 158's is the order of the day.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

+1
Collar out of place.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.