Broken Firing Pin

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dlidster

Broken Firing Pin

Post by dlidster »

I've had my R92 for six years. It's totally slicked up, refinished, and I've fired more than a half-zillion rounds. I love it. It's reliable, accurate, and a lot of fun

Yesterday when I took it out to whack a few steel plates it just went "click." No, the safety wasn't on. A quick look revealed the tip of the firing pin was gone. This wasn't a disaster, just a very annoying inconvenience. Both Jack First and Steve offer replacement firing pins, so I now have one on order.

My question . . . Has anyone here had a similar experience? (I don't dry fire this rifle, so I'm ruling that out.) The only other problem I've had with this rifle was a fractured ejector collar. That happened within the first two weeks I owned the rifle and I replaced it with one from Steve.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Broken Firing Pin

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Had the firing pin break on my Garand recently. It happens. If it didn’t, Jack & Steve wouldn’t stock it. Your next one will probably last a half zillion more cycles.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

loading Gates too
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Broke one on my 1951 Waffle Top 336...actually is was broken when I got the rifle.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

Update: I received the replacement firing pin from Steve in less than a week from placing my order. It's very nicely made. Unlike the Rossi OEM firing pin which is MIM, Steve's is machined from bar stock. I don't want to start a MIM discussion, but I will mention that I've had broken firing pins in two 9 mm handguns from a very reputable manufacturer. Both were MIM. Not a real confidence builder.

It's worth mentioning that this firing pin does not have the cutout required for the Rossi safety. I do like that safety when unloading the rifle, but I didn't bother cutting the slot in the new pin. I had one of Steve's button replacements in my parts box and installed it.

It's been several years since I've taken this rifle completely apart and I've never removed the firing pin before. I'll pass along a couple of observations. The firing pin stop pin is installed from the left, just as is the breech bolt pin. However, the tiny pin for the safety installs from the right, or it least it was on my rifle. (The grooves in the "head end" of the pin tell from which direction it was inserted and from which direction it should be replaced. Obviously, these pins should be removed from the opposite side.)
Last edited by dlidster on 29 Jun 2021 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Good observations. Thanks for sharing your findings! Is the firing pin protrusion correct on the new pin, or does that need to be fitted?
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

Nashville Stage wrote:Good observations. Thanks for sharing your findings! Is the firing pin protrusion correct on the new pin, or does that need to be fitted?
Protrusion is, in my opinion, perfect. It's deep for positive contect with the primer anvil but not so deep that it might pierce the primer.