I've Got A Few Loose Screws!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
plaidad

I've Got A Few Loose Screws!

Post by plaidad »

Literally. I had my 16" R92 in .357 at the range this morning. While I was loading it, I noticed that the lower tang screw wasn't threaded into the right side of the receiver. I was looking at the threaded hole. I didn't have a hollow ground screwdriver with me, so I waited until I got home. The whole head of the tang screw was sticking out of the receiver! I screwed it in, and checked the rest of the screws. None of them were more than finger tight. I have only put about 150 rounds through the gun, and I have never touched any of the screws, so I'm assuming that someone at Rossi did not completely tighten them.

Has anyone else experienced this? I hesitate to use Loctite on these screws, but does anyone else use it?

Thanks for your advice.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: I've Got A Few Loose Screws!

Post by Reese-Mo »

That would be the hammer axis as well. That's the only one on my rifle that ever loosens. I think you'll find that once the other ones are p they will stay put. The trick for the hammer axis is to keep a drop of oil on it every so often and to keep checking it.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: I've Got A Few Loose Screws!

Post by Reese-Mo »

Back at a real keyboard....

The thing with the hammer screw (which also holds the lower tang in place), is that the hammer pivots on it. And the "fast" pivot is also the "unscrew" direction. So any friction on that pin from the hammer is trying to unscrew that fastener. That's why a small drop of oil on each side of the hammer, worked in, allowed to get to that pivot, is a good idea (and a good idea in general).

I'm not a fan of Locktite on firearms screws, except maybe scope screws, and blue only if that.

Those small screws, with fine heads and finer threads... asking for trouble if you thread lock 'em. Maybe a small dab of lacquer (aka nail polish) on the threads if you must.