Just Bought a 480 Ruger!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just Bought a 480 Ruger!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had an email notifications setup up on various auction sites for any Rossi 92 chambered in 480 Ruger. One popped this morning on my phone while I was blood trailing a feral hog I just shot with my R92 45 Colt Scout Rifle. Right there in the dense South Texas brush, I bought the rifle.

It is described as "spotless" and the various images look good. Paid $650 which is what I just sold a Marlin 444P for, it worked out good in my opinion! Now Pricedo do be too hard on me, it does have one of those twisty tails on the bolt! :| I know how to take care of that though! I'm going to keep this one clean, with open sights, and would be interested in hearing about any sight system that fits the Rossi platform. Of course, a cast bullet of my design is in order!

We live in interesting times in that I'm standing in the brush of South Texas and instantly buy a rifle from a fellow up in Maine! Look for the hog story to follow!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Just Bought a 480 Ruger!

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Image
I had an email notifications setup up on various auction sites for any Rossi 92 chambered in 480 Ruger. One popped this morning on my phone while I was blood trailing a feral hog I just shot with my R92 45 Colt Scout Rifle. Right there in the dense South Texas brush, I bought the rifle.

It is described as "spotless" and the various images look good. Paid $650 which is what I just sold a Marlin 444P for, it worked out good in my opinion! Now Pricedo do be too hard on me, it does have one of those twisty tails on the bolt! :| I know how to take care of that though! I'm going to keep this one clean, with open sights, and would be interested in hearing about any sight system that fits the Rossi platform. Of course, a cast bullet of my design is in order!

We live in interesting times in that I'm standing in the brush of South Texas and instantly buy a rifle from a fellow up in Maine! Look for the hog story to follow!
Congrats on the Rossi 92 .480 Ruger find.
They're scarce as chicken's teeth.
Not too hard to make that silly little Rossi wing nut safety on the bolt go away.
If I owned the gun I'd replace it with the Steve's Gunz peep sight........takes about 5 minutes to install........out with the bad......in with the good.
And double congrats cause now your Rossi 92 .45LC is "blooded" after taking that hog.
Glad you found a Scout scope system that will work for you........it was touch & go for a while.
I'd have gone with a Skinner or even a Williams peep sight (lighter & faster) instead of the scout but I think our eyes are different & like you say iron doesn't work too good in your part of the country.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Congratulations on the find Michael!! I've yet to lay my eyes on a real one, only seen pics of em. Would you please verify that the 480 Rossi is not a "bigfoot" rifle, (heard of, never seen), soon as you get it? DP PS, come to think of it a.480 is a "bigfoot" isn't it. DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:If I owned the gun I'd replace it with the Steve's Gunz peep sight........takes about 5 minutes to install........out with the bad......in with the good.
I've spent some time browsing Steve's Gunz. I like the idea of the safety plug replacement peep but I do wonder about a sight that is on a moving part, the bolt. Are you using this sight on your Casull? Do you or anyone have any experience with Steve's Bullseye Ghost Right barrel mounted sight?

I'm positive that I need a something different for the front sight as the simple blade is almost invisible too me. The choices are now brass or white beads and large or small. In that Steve is in Texas, I suspect that he might be able to offer some advise as I just about bet he has hunting my country down here.

Image Image

I'm positive that I need a something different for the front sight as the simple blade is almost invisible too me. The choices are now brass or white beads and large or small. In that Steve is in Texas, I suspect that he might be able to offer some advise as I just about bet he has hunted my country down here.
dpe.ahoy wrote:Congratulations on the find Michael!! I've yet to lay my eyes on a real one, only seen pics of em. Would you please verify that the 480 Rossi is not a "bigfoot" rifle, (heard of, never seen), soon as you get it?
Same here but I suspect it is real or at least at this point I hope it is real! :shock:
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

sweet now just give us your full details on it when you get it and range reports
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:If I owned the gun I'd replace it with the Steve's Gunz peep sight........takes about 5 minutes to install........out with the bad......in with the good.
I've spent some time browsing Steve's Gunz. I like the idea of the safety plug replacement peep but I do wonder about a sight that is on a moving part, the bolt. Are you using this sight on your Casull? Do you or anyone have any experience with Steve's Bullseye Ghost Right barrel mounted sight?

I'm positive that I need a something different for the front sight as the simple blade is almost invisible too me. The choices are now brass or white beads and large or small. In that Steve is in Texas, I suspect that he might be able to offer some advise as I just about bet he has hunting my country down here.

Image Image

I'm positive that I need a something different for the front sight as the simple blade is almost invisible too me. The choices are now brass or white beads and large or small. In that Steve is in Texas, I suspect that he might be able to offer some advise as I just about bet he has hunted my country down here.
dpe.ahoy wrote:Congratulations on the find Michael!! I've yet to lay my eyes on a real one, only seen pics of em. Would you please verify that the 480 Rossi is not a "bigfoot" rifle, (heard of, never seen), soon as you get it?
Same here but I suspect it is real or at least at this point I hope it is real! :shock:
Life's about putting things in their proper perspective.
I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle & "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
I'm an engineer and I tend to think about mechanical devices as "systems" designed to accomplish a purpose all the while minimizing infrastructure minutia (unnecessary fuss & details) & cost.
If you're designing a gun (shooting system) to win a 1000 yard competition you'll need the Macmillan stock, the Krieger barrel, the Surgeon action, the Schmidt & Bender or Nightforce scope & YES it wouldn't do to have a sight that is installed on a moving part of the rifle because the error introduced would be significant enough to defeat the purpose of the shooting "system" you're designing.
But for hunting deer and hogs @ < 150 yard ranges a ghost ring on the bolt would be just fine because the error induced into the system would be several orders of magnitude smaller than the accuracy required to accomplish the purpose.
I can take the head off a Ruffed Grouse (on the ground) at 20 yards with the factory iron sights that came with my Rossi Puma 92/454 so in reference to hunting that sighting system ain't broke so I ain't gonna try & fix it.
I've had guys at the range criticize me for mounting a scope with QD mounts on the receiver (instead of a Scout scope located on the barrel) of a Takedown Browning BLR because as one of them explained to me I am introducing compound errors into the sighting system every time I dismount the scope &/or "take down" the gun.
I tested the BLR system at 100 yards and found that the error introduced was from 1/2" to 3/4" on the target..........plenty accurate for taking a hog, deer or a moose the size of a barn door.
The ability to dismantle the BLR rifle & scope and put it in a traveling suitcase takes priority over 3/4 MOA lost accuracy.
Would I use the same double jointed paradigm when putting together a bench rest rifle or a long distance competition rig?..........of course not because then 3/4 MOA would become significant.
It's all about perspective and referencing the margin of error introduced to the task at hand.
Would Steve's Gunz bolt mounted peep sight be acceptable on a hunting gun ?............you bet it would !!
The action is always "locked up" when you're actually using the sight to target game.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:It's all about perspective and referencing the margin of error introduced to the task at hand.
Would Steve's Gunz bolt mounted peep sight be acceptable on a hunting gun ?............you bet it would !!
The action is always "locked up" when you're actually using the sight to target game.
That statement, and the reasons leading to it, sum it up pretty good. The addition benefit of eliminating the safety "twisty" is a plus. Next decision is the front sight. Just drawing on my most recent "adventure" and the situation, I figure the "ivory" bead and probably the small bead.

Just finished ordering dies, brass, case length gauge and larger cutter, etc., plus two bullet molds.
Lee_molds.jpg
Of course, I will immediately work on a chamber impression for an optimal bullet that incorporate the Micro-Bands for tumble lubing. With the Lee production back log during an election year, I will be lucky to have a custom mold before the end of the year. On to Buffalo Arms for a custom H&I sizing die for the Lyman 4500.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Michael, I have one of the peep sights on my 20" 357. It also wears a Burris 2 3/4 scout scope with quick detatch rings. Both setups work very well, as long as I keep the lock ring on the peep tightened down. Since I like the scout setup, I plan on moving the peep to my 16" 357. The Marbles barrel mounted peep has grabbed my intrest as well, but haven't ordered one yet. One of the guys on GBO has talked em up pretty high. Hope someone here wades in if they have one, I'm thinkin one would work well on the 20" 454 and the 24" 357. DP
Your pic of the 2 bullets brought to mind what John Linebaugh told me Wen. when I picked up my 357 Ruger from him. He dropped one of his 500 Linebaugh cartridges in my hand and told me he could fit my lil' Blackhawk with a new barrel and cylinder for it. John's such a tease. If anyone is interested in a Handgun seminar, John is putting another one on June 14-15-16. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll give you his contact info. DP
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

480 Ruger! Cool! This is going to be interesting..........

Dan
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I heard back from Steve and along with your comments above I'm going to go with the bolt peep and a 1/16" bead, white front sight. I did some math for the front sight size choice and here is how much of the target the two different sizes that SG offers, covers up the target at the indicated distances.
Front Sight Bead.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael