Coming up for air

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
Chiefeis

Coming up for air

Post by Chiefeis »

Well it's been a crazy several months (and not really in a good way). But I've been able to make it to the range a couple times with the CJ (mine is the .45/.410). As a comparison I've been at the range with the 9mm pistol so much I have a callus on my trigger finger (not joking).

Got it zeroed (or pretty close) at 100yrds (give or take). Also found I had a cracked stock. A buddy of mine actually bought a new stock for me, but using some woodworking techniques I learned back in my distant youth I think I've repaired the cracked one quite well.

I've found that the CJ really likes Hornady FTX. The 185gr almost breaks through 1/8" steel at 100yrds. The 225gr does just a bit better. I've attached a picture to show what I mean - you can see the polymer tip sticking through the steel.

I also am getting started with reloading. That should be an adventure! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coming up for air

Post by Ranch Dog »

That is a heck of a nice group. Unfortunately, the CJs are known for cracking stocks.
Michael
Chiefeis

Re: Coming up for air

Post by Chiefeis »

Ranch Dog wrote:That is a heck of a nice group. Unfortunately, the CJs are known for cracking stocks.
Yep, that they are. But I repaired mine and with the low recoil I am comfortable with that. Plus I now have a spare. I also made a slight alteration to allow better use of a speedloader.

Got my reloading kit in the mail yesterday. A good friend of mine is an experience reloader and has a good setup. Next week I'm headed to his place to get set up with powder, primers, etc and have him supervise me. He also has a chrono and a range so we should get some good data.