CZ Bobwhite SxS 12g inbound

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

CZ Bobwhite SxS 12g inbound

Post by Reese-Mo »

I've always liked the "double barrel" SxS guns. Just something about 'em. I've had two Ruger Red Label 12g guns, they were ok. Function 100 percent, never an issue, didn't get loose. Had a 26 and a 28 inch. Bagged quite a few ducks with the shorter one, didn't have a lot other than fun shooting at trap with the longer one. Both pattered quite a bit low for me, and I had to really "cover" the target with the end of the barrel to get good hits.

But... here we go on a CZ. Turkish actually. Hope the wood is up to Turkish standards!

And the interesting point.... been watching Bud's. Over the last week, these have been in and out of stock, as high as $880 and as low as $609. I jumped at the $609 ;) Seriously... Buds has been just goofin' with pricing as of late, like they're on a fishin' trip. MSRP is $675 on these according to CZ. It pays to shop (and to keep the link bookmarked).

Some things about the Bobwhite G2, is the new CNC made receiver and barrel block, with double triggers, a little bit of laser engraving, and black chrome on stainless. The black chrome looks like an electroless finish, its not polished. So we'll see how it goes, maybe give a little write up for it (with pics of course)
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: CZ Bobwhite SxS 12g inbound

Post by mr surveyor »

I bought a CZ Ringneck for dove hunting in 2008 (?). I did have an issue with the firing mechanism early on, sent it back for repair and in a couple of weeks it was already back in perfect condition. I always wanted the SxS to work for me, and I've tried 3-4 others along the way, I just couldn't make them work for me. Always wondered why the LOP of a shotgun was considered "normal" at 14 to 14-1/2 inches when most rifles are closer to the 13" in LOP. I always figured shotguns, particularly bird hunting guns, were expected to be handled left to right, right to left, up-down, down-up ... all kinds of movement involved. Whereas "most" (obviously not all) rifle shots are at semi-stationary targets - normally not requiring a lot of side to side movement. Anyhow, I tried the CZ for a couple of dove hunting trips and could just never get the hang of it. Seems like I originally paid near $800 for it new and got about $600 worth in trade - don't even remember what I took in trade. If I could have found a beater stock for my original P. Beretta AL-2, I was planning to get it cut down for a LOP of 12.5 - 13", but not about to damage that original stock. In 2012 I ended up with a Mossberg 500 "Bantam" in 20 ga (they didn't make it in 12) with 22 inch barrel and short 12.5" LOP. My shot/kill ratio on doves went up from about 35% to 55% the first year with the short stock.

I don't have short arms, but I do have somewhat limited right shoulder mobility from a bit of an injury back in the mid 80's. That little, cheap Mossberg pump made a lot of difference. I imagine if the stock on the CZ had been closer to 13" it would have worked out after a while.

The "Black Chrome" may have been a tough finish, but I wondered about the long term (as in generations) how it would hold up. And, what to do if it did need refinishing to protect the metal.

The CZ's are for sure interesting shot guns.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I’m a big fan of the 16 GA. For one reason, it makes for a less beamy SxS. My one SxS is an old Eastern Arms (Sears) version of the Stevens 311. I’ll have to measure the LOP.

All the Turkish walnut I’ve seen has been very nice, as are all of the CZs. Looking forward to the report!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Big CZ fan.
Not always a fan of Turkish production guns or Turkish history.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Various shotty forums seem to groupthink "All Turkish Guns are Questionable, Timebombs, Failures Waiting to Happen, and you should have bought a "B" gun".

I guess we'll see. The only complaint I saw online that concerned me was about a Bobwhite with a "crossbolt" issue, and frankly, the G2 is not made the same way, so its a non-issue. Not that something else can't be kerfluey.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I haven't seen any fail in a particularly dangerous manner but then I haven't seen that many.
I have seen Turkish production guns that either arrived rusted in the factory box or that were copies of designs I don't really care for. I've also seen some copies of some very nice designs and some that showed up looking pristine finely finished.

Most of the ones I've seen show up rusted were double barreled couch guns. NOT CZs, maybe Stogers? Probably a problem with packaging or shipment or somebody on in this country may have screwed up but I wouldn't buy one sight unseen without a inspection period even though the rusted ones were several years ago.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

If its as good as the Philippine 45 autos I've got, I'll have no reservations with it. If you would have said to me that the islanders down there were making .45s better/tighter than some of the Colts (barring finish), I'd have wanted whatever you were drinkin' too. But, they're tight and seemingly good material too. One of my RIAs has had untold rounds through it, and is still as tight as it ever was.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The RIAs have really tightened up over the past 20 years.
I've heard the Turkish copies of the CZs, 1911s are decent and the Tokarevs probably beat the Chinese versions.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am a proud owner of a RIA 1911 and it even takes GI parts ... and they fit. I don't like stainless guns but RIA's stainless 12 gauge pump with synthetic stock is kinda cool.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Archer wrote:The RIAs have really tightened up over the past 20 years.
I've heard the Turkish copies of the CZs, 1911s are decent and the Tokarevs probably beat the Chinese versions.
My kid sister could make a better copy of a Tokarev than the Chinese. But I get your point. I also have a TISAS 45 Auto, and its tight too.

And thinkin' my experiences... she could probably do better than Colt themselves if you compare to one of their 1980's ilk that left the factory. We had guns whose barrels and slides were so bad. Literally angled locking recesses in the slides that would "skip" over the top of the barrel's lugs - when new, first magazine worth of shooting and you'd have a jammed up slide. You had to smack the barrel rearward, so it would tilt down a bit at the chamber end, then the slide would go forward, and... you'd disassemble it to find the problem. These were the days when you had Colt, and AMT Hardballers as your only choice for a "1911" pattern. There just wasn't anything else on the market. The 9mm's were worse. And fuggetabout the .22 Ace's... they couldn't fit the floating chambers for nuthin, and, you couldn't get parts. Called up to Hartford on one .22 top end conversion, that had been back to them several times. They claimed "it works for us". I asked if they shot it. "Of course!" they said. How many times, I asked. Just one shot to see that it fired and was safe. (smack forehead). They sucked back then, no wonder they went 'rupt a time or two.

The Bobwhite comes in Tuesday, dunno if I can get it then, or maybe Wed or Thurs. If its been typical, there's been a three to twelve hour background check wait time.... so might not actually get into my hands till later in the week. I'm hopeful. I snagged a hybrid case from SKB for fifty bucks. I've got one of those SKB hybrids for the Jazz Bass copy (sort of) I built for myself, and it impressed me. I think it'll do good for a shotty too.