The Single Actions

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: The Single Actions

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

With the exception of the Single six in 17HMR all of my Ruger SAs wear Pachmyer Decelerator grips. It came a a more or less natural progression from my IHMSA shooting were the Contender wear the grip, went to 22 revolver and the change to wood panels didn't feel good so they go changed. Big bore revolver with the Blackhawk and it too need a change and so they stay as it's what I got used to. The 17HMR was Linda's gun and I haven't decided about it yet. I like it as a sneak up on the ground hog and shoot 'em in the ear type gun, but we'll see what the late spring early season brings us weather wise and pandemic wise.

Be safe, stay well, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Archer wrote:Understood, I had already looked it up from one of your other posts.

I have been considering what, if anything to do with mine as I've never been a particular fan of the way the standard Colt/Ruger grips feel in my hand. I may be getting a little more used to them but they still do not fit. While I find them ok for the mild calibers I have now I don't think I'd be at all happy with them on a heavy recoiling handgun. I also can't help but think that something that fit better might work better in these even though they don't kick much.

I think I've got a couple sets of Ahrend grips for the N frame but they came with some other stuff and I haven't tried them out. The factory target grips on the N frame were totally unacceptable. The inexpensive Hogue rubber grips worked much better and prevented the gun shifting/slamming in my hand. I'd like to try a set of custom ones like on my 686 or Python but I'm not sure I want to mess with something that seems to be working there.

One of the reasons I lean heavily toward the Bisley configuration.
I dislike the Ruger NM grips something fierce but these make them downright nice.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6560
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

After getting the NM Vaquero to the range and shooting it a little I'm not certain I hate the grips. I don't feel that they make the gun easier to handle which is what I think the 'gunfighter' grips were intended to do but I also don't feel that they interfere with how the gun handles like I initially felt when I first picked the gun up.
I'm still not sure what I want to do about that in the long run if anything.

I still think the Ruger Bisley is probably the way to go for the .44 Mag version of the gun, but I haven't gotten around to one of those yet.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Back in "99 I picked up a 357 Blackhawk (4 5/8" barrel) at the PX on base. It had the Ruger XR3-RED grip frame on it and I hated it. I swapped that out with a brass Qualite" Birdshead grip frame and it then felt well balanced and pointed naturally for me. Recoil, even with full house 158 gr. 357 magnum cartridges, was tame.
IMG_0616.jpg
I've just recently picked up one of those new Ruger Flattop Blackhawks in 45 Colt (5 1/2" barrel) that supposedly has the dimensions of the old Ruger XR3 grip frame. Even with the "Gun Fighter Grips" that came on it, I have come to the conclusion that Ruger grip frames just don't work for me.
I recently put in an order to Ronnie Wells for one of his brass #5 grip frames for the new model Blackhawk. Going to utilize a Super Blackhawk Hammer and the stock Blackhawk trigger. Really looking forward to trying that setup and comparing it to my stock Ruger Bisley (also a 45 Colt).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

I hear you Gunny. I've tried a lot of stuff trying to make the New Models feel right in my hand.

There are two Ruger grips I can get along with; the Bisley and Super Blackhawk Hunter.

Even so, I'd still try to flip the gate open and put 'em on half-cock when it's time to reload.I'm a slow learner I guess.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Gunny that's a sweet looking gun.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

That 357 Blackhawk shot and handled so well for me that I couldn't resist changing the grip frame on my Single Six. It worked out pretty good. Still wish I could find something like the super Blackhawk Hammer for a Single Six.
IMG_0624.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Not bad at all.
I can see where the hammer differences would be desirable.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

what about a Bisley hammer? That pistol looks like it was made for that look (and feel).

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

mr surveyor wrote:what about a Bisley hammer? That pistol looks like it was made for that look (and feel).

jd
See my post on page one where I fitted a Bisley hammer to my plow handled Blackhawk.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.