Brake cleaner question

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Johnnyjr

Brake cleaner question

Post by Johnnyjr »

Why do some of you guys suggest spraying break cleaner in the action. Is there a reason for doing this or just something you do ¿‽
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Brake cleaner question

Post by mr surveyor »

Brake cleaner ... the NON-CHLORINATED variety will strip out the oily grunge and generally flush out most tiny metallic fragments with it. You still don't want to get it on the wood furniture ... it will damage the finish.

Several years ago on a handgun site, I learned to use brake cleaner to flush the striker tunnel on semi-auto pistols. Amazing results for that purpose. Then, I think on this site, learned to remove the butt stock on the R-92's and give the "innards" a good soaking with the spray nozzle attached to the brake cleaner - also a good heavy spraying down the bore (outside with the muzzle up and action down). Drain it clean and let it thoroughly dry and then a good (not over done) lube job. It may also help to work the action a few times during the flush part of the cleaning before you don't see any more crud coming out.

It greatly reduces the need for a complete detailed strip down of the gun.

Again, just try to keep the brake cleaner off the furniture.

all just my opinion.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Johnnyjr

Re: Brake cleaner question

Post by Johnnyjr »

Appreciate it. Gonna do it tomorrow morning for sure..j