Oops, overload today....

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Oops, overload today....

Post by Reese-Mo »

Had an overload today.

24 cases of flooring @ 88 lbs per case.

Math sez 2100ish lbs.

Problem is I drive a '99 Ranger - 1000 lbs supposed to be the limit. :(

Suspension was ok, brakes fine. Worried bout the back tires, so I upped em from 35 to 45 lbs. They didnt look happy...they're not LTs, just Ps.

But it was only about 4 miles of no real inclines, and no speedy curves.

It was an easy load from the flooring place, off the forklift. From truck to my livin room floor is a three Advil lumbar adventure.

Tomorrow is rip out old floor day....yippee! :(
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Oops, overload today....

Post by Archer »

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Seems the Ram tops out at 1940 lbs, but it's a mite bigger than the Ranger.
I'll need to figure the weight of the ammo if I ever get a chance to get out of here...
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Archer wrote:Hey!
I've heard about you!
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Overload.htm
Love it!

I've only really "overloaded" the Ranger twice, which is this last time, and once when I had to carry about ... I dunno how many bags of portland cement and stucco for filling in the "decorative open wall" of the garage with dry-pack cement then stucco. It used to be just a breezy car port. Both trips were under 5 miles, and very carefully executed.

Anudder new 1911, so I got in late, and the floor ain't quite done. I got T-Day weekend to complete I 'spose, if I don't have to work Friday. Up in the air bit on that yet, depends on what I can get done for customers tomorrow. Today was three yagi antennas on 40 foot tower that we added sections to, to make it 60 feet. A real fuster cluck.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I just started a new contract on short notice. Three days on the new contract and I'm taking today and tomorrow for Thanksgiving prep. The customer comes in next week. The contract has been seriously expected for two months on an ANY day now basis so of course we get word it's dropping right before Thanksgiving. I had figured it wasn't going to happen until December and maybe not until next year.

ANYway!
Tomorrow I'm planning on a Japanese cheese cake. I've never made one of those before so I'm very much in a new element here and hoping I can get it together without it falling. It's a sponge cake that's sort of a cross between cheese cake and angle food cake. The recipe I've settled on as a base was for a 6" cake and I'm going to triple it for a 10.5" attempt.

Thursday I'm expecting to put together a corn dish before bugging out for the west cost gather.
I was thinking about also doing a potato dish but that may not happen.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

the only things I'm sure are missing from that Japanese cheese cake recipe are jalapenos and whip cream. Since I'm not a fan of any cheese cake, those would be my recommendations to give it a new spin.

you can thank me later :)

jd

ps: I probably wouldn't have thought to comment about cooking but I have a (seasoned :) ) meatloaf and batch of cheese stuffed jalapenos on the grill at the moment
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I was thinking about adding some bell pepper OR green chilies OR jalapenos to the corn but that would trigger a case of acid reflux with one of the family.

I didn't care for cheese cake until the past 10 or 15 years. It's still not something I seek out much.
Whip cream is likewise not something I miss and it is something I very much prefer NOT to be on my milkshakes for example.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

well, from one connersewer to thu other .... it's a little known secrete that dill pickle juice can be substituted for whipped cream (for those that are lactose intolerant)

I didn't go to sheff school but I learned the need for survival cooking at an early age ... and I'm still alive - sorta

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

My once subbed sour cream with banana yogurt. It was terrible!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I didn't quite get the cake right. It was more like an angle food cake on the top two thirds and dense like cheesecake on the bottom third. It was well received however and people seemed to like it. It was quite moist.
I think I didn't quite hit the soft peak stage for the egg whites. The flavor was pretty good. I had an ounce and a half of lemon juice in the cake and a half teaspoon each of lemon and vanilla extract. The flavor was pretty clean and I think it would go well with about any sort of topping you wanted to try. I went with a dusting of powdered sugar and served it with some berries (raspberries, blue berries and black berries)

The corn dish went over pretty good as well.

There was also a ham, turkey, sweet potato dish w/pecan crumble topping, mashed potatoes, roasted green beans, whole kernal corn, mac & cheese, pasta salad, pumpkin roll, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pecan pie and I might have misses something or left something out. There were at least 15 of us there. I'd expected at least another handful but several were working or on call for the fire department, power company, sheriff's dept, etc. and one came down with Covid and another with a tooth infection. Two more were watching the power company cut power because of the high winds and decided they needed to stay because the horse boarding facility uses a powered system to water the horses and requires manual intervention if the power goes out.

Since Kalifornia decided to go after the power companies in the event a fire is traced to power company equipment none of the distribution companies are taking any chances and they will deenergize the lines any time the wind comes up. The linemen have been working all the overtime they can eat statewide for the past couple years as the companies are replacing older equipment. Even when if and when the equipment is up to date the blackouts will continue as no company is going to risk the liability of being held responsible for starting a wildfire.