.44 special

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: .44 special

Post by Gunny268 »

I have to agree. I've not received - put claims in on 2 Midway shipments and 1 Brownells over the past 2 months. The Midway shipments were UPS to USPS, then to me (not). Brownells was UPS and gone.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

USPS lost three outgoing packages for me between November and March. Only got paid claim on one and all three were flat rate priority mail that includes insurance.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Guess I've been luck so far this year. So far shipments from Midway, Mid-South, Natchez and Brownells have made it. Waiting to see if package from eBay makes it. Found a copy of the Berger manual which is evidently printed on or with unobtainium. We'll see.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

The powder is here.... But those cases.... Been a week "in Montgomery, AL".
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Fed Ex has been loosing firearms shipped through one of the major SoCal distribution hubs or at least they were about a year ago according to Reno May on Youtube.
It had gotten bad enough that people expecting them were turning in separate reports to the ATF on top of insurance claims.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Well, I called Starline today, again. They're a bit "oh its on its way" while they're on the phone, and behind the scenes they obviously look into the situation and get things done. Still awaiting word on shipment #1. I was never worried about money. Starline is a stand up outfit, so no hesitation about money whatsoever. I was more worried about the endless backorder of .44 Special brass. So I asked the nice lady on the phone, and she said "that brass is in production 100 percent of the time, we never stop making it". If you box is lost we'll bump you to the front of the backorder line. And so they did, by afternoon's time. Replacement package of 1000 on its way.

The first package... still in UPS-Limbo, "in Montgomery, Al". It must like that place, because it refuses to leave! Seriously, UPS can't find it, so .... we know what happened to it. Considering the last gun show had 44special brass priced at $40 per 25 pieces.... someone's gonna try to cash in. All I want is some lever rifle ammo that's hotter than my mouse loads for the Charter Boomer.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I will admit that I have avoided .44 Special and I probably shouldn't have.

.44 Magnum has in my lifetime always been more common, available and less expensive than .44 Special.
I can download .44 Magnum to 'medium' levels that are quite comfortable in anything I've ever shot.

I can probably count the number of times I have NOTICED .44 Special on the shelf at a gunshop on my hands and have fingers left over.

I skipped over a couple Ruger Bisley revolvers I'd have bought because they were in Special instead of magnum.

I may still wind up buying a Schofield revolver in either .44 Sp or .45 Colt eventually even through I'm not much of a fan of either caliber. (Skipped over a pristine Smith N frame in .45 Colt for $500 several years back I probably should have snapped up as well as half a dozen Rugers.)
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Arrgh! I gotta find one dem Rugers!

My '92 Rossi is 44mag, but feeds (so far) everything I've tried - Specials, Russians, dual round ball Specials, but have not tried 44mags in it. I wouldn't mind shooting 44mag in it, and may load up some of those once brass is available (ah the wait).

I know what you're sayin on just load down the magnum stuff, and you're right, but somehow.... there's a lure to the 44 Special for me. That damn little Charter Arms got me hooked. My tastes have changed over the years from magnum-mania to pun'kinball-perfection.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

.45C can do just about all the .429 Magnum can and more so the Special ain't so special at all to me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Tru dat! The JaWin '92 is .45C, and I agree, but keep loads moderate.

First batch of 44Sp with the new-new brass, and the 240g coated "hard" bullets. These are B18, so they should be ok in the '92, not lead too much.
smasher.jpg
And, as an aside... that little Summit press from RCBS is really great for pistol cases, and light rifle (like .223/5.56). Get into the big rifle sized cases, not as much leverage as, say, a Rock Chucker or other "dual leverage" press. The Summit only has 'top dead center" leverage, no extra camming involved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.