Got a "new" Wizard in .243

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
retAFShooter

Got a "new" Wizard in .243

Post by retAFShooter »

I picked up a Rossi Wizard in .243 Winchester at a gun show last weekend. I just got it scooped last night. I guess I have a lot of old posts to read, but I'm going to ask some questions before I get too deep in them. I had been looking for an H&R single shot in .270 with no luck, so for $185 I thought this Rossi Wizard in .243 might be enough for me to play with in the meantime. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. The YouTube videos I've seen show the shooters pulling out the spent casings with their fingers. Is it not supposed to eject them like my H&R 20 gauge? Note that I had to remove the rear sight to get that Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 to fit with those low see through rings. I tried taller rings but they were too high for the cheek rest.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I had to order a hammer extension from Amazon because the rifle didn't come with one (even though the gun was sold as "new").
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RetAFShooter
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Got a "new" Wizard in .243

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looks good and at a great price too!
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My initial Wizard is 243, I've been busy with the 45-70 barrel so haven't shot it much. That said what little i've been able to do it seems to have a preference for bullets under 100 grain. I haven't checked the twist but somewhere on here I remember reading a figure that if it holds for all the 243 barrels would put it at the slower end of the range for caliber. Since I'll only be using it for varmits that works for me. It does seem to be a fair accurate barrel.

make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

"The YouTube videos I've seen show the shooters pulling out the spent casings with their fingers. Is it not supposed to eject them like my H&R 20 gauge? "

I don't think I've ever seen a center fire cartridge "break rifle" use an ejector. That would make retrieving brass a pretty difficult chore, as well as more expensive/complicated mechanism.

As for the .243 .... that would be my personal choice for a break rifle. I hope you found one that will be a real "shooter".

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My 243 barrel extracts the cartridge only. On the other hand my 45-70 barrel throws the spent case off the back of the range head. I'd like to fix that but haven't yet figured which pin(s) to knock out and how much trouble it's going to cause.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image