R92 Terminal Performance

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: R92 Terminal Performance

Post by Ranch Dog »

Chris wrote:Looking at the charts I can see that what I always knew was true. A 30-30 at 200 yards is about like a 357 mag at 50 yards. I would shoot a buck at 50 yards with one if I had to...I don't think I would go out to intentionally do it though, like shooting my 30-30 at deer at 200 yards.

Does this concur with your findings?
357_vs_3030_FPE.jpg
357_vs_3030_Penetration.jpg
357_vs_3030_Taylor.jpg
357_vs_3030_Thornily.jpg
357_vs_3030_Wound.jpg
Here is the actually "chart" comparisons between my R92 357 Mag and My RG3030. As far as the "200 vs. 50" yard comparisons, it depends on which value you want to use as the criteria and of course, not all bullets are created equally. For the chart comparison above, they are someone equal, in that my designs follow each other dimensionally and use the same alloy.

The 357 Mag is not the 30-30 Win but I have seen enough deer killed with both that I think either are effective. Using my bullets and loads, I see my Marlin 1894 and Rossi R92 as 100 yard deer rifles with no caveats. I also see my 30-30 Wins; a Glenfield 30GT, Marlin 336BL, and the Rossi RG3030 as 200 yard deer rifles. With either in use and if the deer I want steps out within the respective distances, I'm going thump them through the chest cavity. I'm really not going to wait for a perfect shot as my country is too thick to wait too long to shoot.

I have a young fellow here that is using a Marlin 336Y with my bullet loaded down to match the Thorniley Index of my 357 Mag load at 70 yards. He has killed 4 whitetails with this reduced load, I've been there for each, and the killing authority is absolute. Is what he shooting a 30-30 or 357? Don't know, but it is one dead whitetail.

In another example, last year I killed a buck with my R92 480 Ruger using my bullet and a doe with my R92 357 Mag using the bullet referenced above. I was in the same stand and both deer were at the same distance (90 yards). I shot both deer through the heart and the both responded the same way, they took a couple of steps and died.
357_vs_480_Thornily.jpg
There is no comparison to be made between the two cartridges yet the observed killing authority of each was identical.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Chris

Re: R92 Terminal Performance

Post by Chris »

Michael, Thank you very much for the comparisions and reasoned response to my questions.

I appreciate your in the field experience with the cartridges. I have never killed a deer with either of these cartridges. All of the big game I have ever shot has come by 30-06 or 257 Roberts. In the past 20 hunting seasons I have shot seven head of deer and two bears. This is about what folks in Alaska and Texas shoot in a season. I will admit to passing game that was too small, too far in, and I will admit to losing a good deer by a bad shot.

I have ventured afield with other guns but have never been successful with them. I also have never shot a deer with a lead bullet.

Until I retire, I doubt I will shoot more than five or ten deer in the next twenty years. That is sad, I know. I admit it. For now I will have to live through some of you gents with better game and more time and luck on your hands.

That is real fine though! At least someone is getting some game! Someday!! This is deer season right now, and I have a tag, but will not have time to go afield. Maybe 1 day if I am LUCKY :? .

Thank you for your serious input RD. I will be back with more questions.

What a wonderful site this is!

Chris