Brand New Rossi 92 .357 Magnum - Can't Chamber a round...

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Brand New Rossi 92 .357 Magnum - Can't Chamber a round..

Post by pricedo »

RayMich wrote:
pricedo wrote:
RayMich wrote:I spoke with my FFL today and he told me that Davidson's will not repair the rifle. They figure that if it won't chamber a round then it's too FUBAR and not worth fixing. They are offering to replace it with a new one (but they don't have any in stock at the moment), or they will give me my money back.

I told my FFL that I will wait a couple of weeks and see if they get any more in stock and hopefully the new rifle will work as intended. If not, I'll ask for my money back and continue my search. Oh, well !

Now I wait... I do hate waiting...

Damn ! ! ! :(
Yah but there's light at the end of that long tunnel.
Davidson's is too "major league" to Mickey Mouse you around about 1 rifle.
I'm sure Rossi won't screw around with a big reseller like Davidsons and will make things right on that end.
I sure hope you are right.
If all else fails Davidson's apparently is willing to provide a refund which is OK as long as you don't get stuck with the return shipping cost but returning should be the last resort for a gun that CAN'T be fixed. We're still not sure that is the case with your gun. Chances are the gun CAN be fixed with just ordinary tools and a little patience.

But first things first:
Won't chamber a round......my instincts tell me it's something simple like a big bad burr or two that's just begging to be filed off and smoothed.
My well rehearsed & publicized stripping, cleaning, deburring, lube routine would probably have that rifle cycling slick and smooth in about 4 hours.
I can recall a couple of rougher Rossi 92s in particular over the years that were very rough out of the box that turned into Cowboy Action capable guns after my basic clean-up/tune-up/lube-up routine.
If you're going to own Rossis you more likely than not are going to have to get your hands dirty at some point........it, as they say, goes with the territory.
I'd strip the gun apart and see what's what before I returned it..........the fix is usually something simple.........not always but usually.
The gun might just be very dirty inside or maybe it's just a burr in a bad place or a loose part locking the action up........you won't know until you look.
I've got a couple of Rossis over the years that were filthy with compacted cosmoline, metal grindings, rust & dirt and after the clean up cycled flawlessly.
Once you get it apart clean thoroughly (a small head, hard bristle tooth brush is a great cleaning tool) with alcohol or spray degreaser & remove any conspicuous metal burrs......any Rossi I stripped usually had at least 2 or 3.
Make sure the metal parts are absolutely clean of grease & dirt before deburring........you can't work effectively on dirty parts where you can't see what you're doing.
I use a small padded jaw vise to hold the gun/part, a small 3 sided file for burr removal and a magnifying glass to assist my old eyes.........I smooth & finish polish things out with a fine grained sharpening stone &/or fine emery paper.
Lube it with high quality, temperature insensitive gun oil when you are reassembling it........I'll bet that the rifle will be OK.

Returning guns to Rossi has always been a risque business......the gun you get in return might be in worse condition than the one you're returning.

I don't buy Rossis I can't handle and pre-inspect before I lay my money down but realize some people don't have access to big shops where there are half a dozen guns to chose from on a rack. If you have to buy sight unseen buy from a dealer with a written company policy that will allow you to return a defective gun and not get stuck with the return shipping cost that can be considerable.
It appears you have already wisely done that. :mrgreen:

**I would advise against accepting any repairs from Rossis infamous Customer Service department.......a refund would be preferable.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
RayMich

Post by RayMich »

Thank you for your comments.

I don't have any problem in "getting my hands dirt", as you say. I work on all of my guns when necessary.

But when a brand new gun can't even be fired one time because it will not even chamber a round, that is not up to me to make it work.

Would an automotive engineer buy a brand new car and when he goes to to drive it away the engine won't even start. Does he then tow the brand new car home to his garage and spend countless hours working on it to make it run? - I don't think so.

This gun is reinforcing my opinion of Taurus firearms. Which up to now has NOT been very favorable.

I am going to wait another week and see if Davidson's sends me a new gun that works as expected. If not, I am asking for my money back.

Thanks again.
- Ray -

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."[/b:
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

A lot of there Rossis are uncut diamonds.
Some are junk but most can be cleaned up to become the slickest leverguns you ever held in your hands.
I wish it was possible to show a disappointed first owner what a great gun a rehabilitated Rossi can be.
My Rossis will be with me til the day I die which the wife says might be sooner than I think if "you dare drag another gun into this house". :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:I wish it was possible to show a disappointed first owner what a great gun a rehabilitated Rossi can be.
+1

Well said!
Michael
apache67

Post by apache67 »

My two cents...
I would take it to the range at least once before making any decision; even if you have to feed it one round at a time. I have one in 45LC that jammed every time while sitting in my living room, but when I got on the range, it was flawless. Maybe I was babying the lever a bit (hesitant about using live ammo inside the house). I'm not sure, but I'm more than happy with it now. It might be worth a quick trip in order to determine the exact cause, if possible.
Thanks
Apache67
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

OR it could be full of dirt &/or have a couple of burrs in bad places like on the cartridge lifter arm or the throat of the magazine tube or the mouth of the chamber.
I've cured a couple of 92s with a few strokes of a small 3-sided file.
Too bad the 92s aren't a little more user friendly in regards to take apart/put back together like the Win 1873 or the Rossi/Marlin 336 which are easy to work on.
But it is what it is and the steep 92 reassembly learning curve is frankly quite intimidating for some.
The OP is right to expect a working gun NIB.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:OR it could be full of dirt &/or have a couple of burrs in bad places like on the cartridge lifter arm or the throat of the magazine tube or the mouth of the chamber.
I've cured a couple of 92s with a few strokes of a small 3-sided file.
Too bad the 92s aren't a little more user friendly in regards to take apart/put back together like the Win 1873 or the Rossi/Marlin 336 which are easy to work on.
But it is what it is and the steep 92 reassembly learning curve is frankly quite intimidating for some.
The OP is right to expect a working gun NIB.
I was intimidated the first time and when I got mine back together (after looking for 2 hours for a tiny spring that flew off during reassembly) I heaved a sigh of relief when the action apparently worked. Well it DID work with ONE dummy cartridge until I got out to the range and loaded her up, at which time the cartridge stop was not functioning allowing all the ammo in the tube to advance without anything to stop it. So I was FORCED to take it all back apart and get that spring seated right (this would be the same spring that went AWOL the first time). This was probably the best thing that could have happened to me as the second go around gave me a bit of confidence that I can disassemble my 92 to clean and service and get it back working again. It also gave me an idea of which extra parts to have on hand prior to the next tear down both for wear and replacement as well as ones my big thumbs might likely drop and be lost for good.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Like I've said before if you want a rifle that will arrive perfect and beautiful each & every time and a rifle you'll very rarely have to apply a tool to other than routine cleaning Doug Turnbull @Turnbull Mfg. Co will be very happy to accommodate you.
I understand he accepts gold and platinum credit cards to cover the approx $4000 cost of one of his 92s or 86s.
If you'd rather purchase $500 Rossi rifles fully expect to be cleaning dirt from under your nails acquired by working on guns from time to time.
You basically have 2 paradigms to choose from: 1) cheap & challenging OR 2) expensive & easy.
Your choice.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
phonejack

Post by phonejack »

See " success. Happy dance" and do what I finally did. It's not that hard.
RayMich

Post by RayMich »

Being a mechanical engineer with over 30 years of field experience, I am NOT intimidated by anything mechanical. I have been taking things apart, fixing them and putting them back together ever since I was able to hold a screwdriver in my hand, and I have always serviced my firearms.

To me it is the principle of it. If you buy a BRAND NEW piece of equipment or tool, it is not unreasonable to expect it to work as advertised when you take it out of the box. When I purchased this rifle, I was led to believe that it was a new rifle in perfect working order. I did not buy something listed as defective or a BLEM at a drastically reduced price. I was sold a brand new rifle and I expected it to work as advertised. Reading these posts from other members here, it is apparent that Rossi's idea of quality control is to shove stuff out the door and let the buyer take his chances with the luck of the draw. Not a very good practice in my book.

I intend to give them one more week to see if they ship me a new rifle in GOOD WORKING ORDER. If not, then I will ask for my money back. At which point my opinion of less than stellar Taurus products and Rossi in particular will be reinforced and it will be highly unlikely that I will want to get another. I have no intention of becoming an uncompensated beta tester for Taurus/Rossi or any other firearm manufacturer.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Best regards.
- Ray -

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."[/b: