New M-92 454 Casull

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New M-92 454 Casull

Post by Ranch Dog »

The rifle looks very nice!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:A legal defensive shot in AK on a bear is very short, 30 feet
If the bureaucrats in Juneau or Anchorage saw one of those things move they'd rethink that "safe" distance.
30 feet at full bore (boar :mrgreen: ) Grizzly speed translates into a very small amount of time.
Enough to swing, cock, aim & fire.........maybe. :?:
If you don't carry a round in the chamber and have to add "lever a round" to the above equation you're not going to make it. :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
Arktikos wrote:A legal defensive shot in AK on a bear is very short, 30 feet
If the bureaucrats in Juneau or Anchorage saw one of those things move they'd rethink that "safe" distance.
30 feet at full bore (boar :mrgreen: ) Grizzly speed translates into a very small amount of time.
Enough to swing, cock, aim & fire.........maybe. :?:
If you don't carry a round in the chamber and have to add "lever a round" to the above equation you're not going to make it. :shock:
That is so true.. I think the state's intent is to limit defensive kills to true emergencies. Probably the majority of time bear charges are bluffs and they will stop if you stand your ground. There are lots of other scenarios that don't involve sudden encounters too but most of the time you can limit sudden supprise attacks if you are aware of your surroundings, wind direction etc, keep your eyes and ears switched on and keep out of limited visibility areas like alders willows etc. I knew a lady who works for the power utility here and she was up at their remote hydro dam in the mountains 30 miles or so south of juneau, walking down the gravel air strip at the far end when she noticed a brown bear watching her. Not having a gun she just had to keep walking all the way back to the building at the other end with that bear following at some distance with interest. Those are the times when (if you have a rifle) you have time to get prepared, definitely one in the chamber, on half cock, cheap lawyer safety on fire, make peace with your maker and try to feel like the meanest SOB on the mtn, or in the valley cuz you don't ever want to run..
Last edited by Arktikos on 15 Mar 2013 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:The rifle looks very nice!
Thanks, it is a very versatile gun for me. Yesterday I was lobbing 250gr out there with 6 gr of Trail boss, subsonic sounded just like a big 22 LR. Can't wait for my 454 Casull brass and dies to get here!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote: cheap lawyer safety on fire
My Amadeo Rossi M92/454 manufactured just weeks before Taurus jumped into the drivers seat at Rossi doesn't have and NEVER HAD a lawyers safety.
That and the fact that she's looking mighty purty with her new Tru-Oil finish and leather butt cover has resulted in some tempting offers to purchase at the club.......I whispered to myself "here we go again" :roll: .
One guy offered me $750.........the answer was a flat NO.
He said, "Would it make any difference if I went to $800?" to which the unhesitating answer was another flat "NO........she ain't for sale....cause they don't make 'em like this any more".
Reminds me of the time I hand fitted 2 x Amadeo Rossi 92s (a 44 Mag & a 45LC) up with real walnut stocks & boiled linseed oil finish.
They had a similar effect as Raquel Welch (the eye candy of a past generation) in a mini-bikini to the guys I hunt with.
Within 2 weeks they both sold for a handsome profit to 2 friends who went into heat like hound dogs in the spring after seeing them.
Really nicely finished 92s are like beautiful women.........hard to hold on to because of an overabundance or interested parties who are always sniffing around wanting to acquire them.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Nice looking rifle you found there! My first 454 was a twin to yours and impressed me so much I snapped up the only other one I've seen in real life. Number 2 is a 16" stainless Trapper that is about as handy as a fella could find. Both of mine feed smoothly, both 454's and 45's, triggers are crisp and fairly light. Compared to my Marlin 444's and 45-70, the Rossi 454's are an absolute joy to carry and bring a satisfied grin to my face every time I shoot em. +guns I'm using some factory Hornady 300 gr 454 ammo that I got for a steal of a price, going to work up some loads in the 40-45,000 PSI range so I can use them in a Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt that I had the chambers reamed out to 454 length. That will give me plenty of thump for anything running around Montana. DP
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Nice looking rifle you found there! My first 454 was a twin to yours and impressed me so much I snapped up the only other one I've seen in real life. Number 2 is a 16" stainless Trapper that is about as handy as a fella could find. Both of mine feed smoothly, both 454's and 45's, triggers are crisp and fairly light. Compared to my Marlin 444's and 45-70, the Rossi 454's are an absolute joy to carry and bring a satisfied grin to my face every time I shoot em. +guns I'm using some factory Hornady 300 gr 454 ammo that I got for a steal of a price, going to work up some loads in the 40-45,000 PSI range so I can use them in a Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt that I had the chambers reamed out to 454 length. That will give me plenty of thump for anything running around Montana. DP
I think with that carbine revolver combo you are good for anything in this hemisphere! If I were to find a stainless trapper I would need to either sell my Marlin GS or something. That trapper would be the perfect pack rifle for what I want. I had my guide gun out the other day and it just felt a bit on the heavy side compared with my 92. Of course it could be i am getting soft in my old age too. What I need to do before summer is get a good bear load for the Rossi and then compare ballistics between the two and see if I am willing to go with somewhat less for the ease of carrying a lighter gun all day. ..
Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The Guide Gun & scope are a big hunk of steel to carry around all day for sure but my 1895G is a Remlin I got on the cheap and rehabilitated (practically rebuilt) and customized with 3rd party parts from Wild West Guns and it is as slick as slug slime and scary accurate with HSM factory "Bear Load" 430 grain hc lead bullet (@ 1750 fps) ammo.
It got me an elk last year so has earned its place in my stable.

On a long hard carry through the bush up & down hills the 92/454 will be getting the nod being 2 pounds lighter (with iron sights).
The 92/454 is no slouch in the ballistics department using hand loads with 335 grain hc lead bullets exiting the muzzle at 1950 fps.
I love my 92/454 and when I die that gun will still be in my gun safe.
I've had a coupla good offers to take it off my hands........not gonna happen. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

Congrats on the purchase of a nice weapon. I really like the screw in magazine on the 454/480 rifles.
Aim small, miss small.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Trailboss wrote:Congrats on the purchase of a nice weapon. I really like the screw in magazine on the 454/480 rifles.
+1
YUP !

A beautiful feature of the new "screw in" magazine on the 92/454 that you'll really find handy when zeroing in on a big Boone & Crocket class buck is that it doesn't fall off the gun. :lol:

The robust Rossi double threaded tube magazine configuration brought the legacy JMB Winchester 92 design into the 21st century smokeless powder era.:mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA