My Marlin model 36

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
AhnkoChee
Founding Member
Founding Member

My Marlin model 36

Post by AhnkoChee »

Growing up my dad used to tell me about his old model 1893 Marlin rifle in 30/30 which he kept onboard his boat to plink at flying fish when he was bored. He went off to fight in WWII and when he returned it was nowhere to be found. I always had the desire to surprise my dad and buy him a Marlin 30/30 with a square bolt. 1893s where impossible to find at a price I could afford but finally I did find a square bolt model 36 of 1947 vintage for $ 265.00 which I thought was a fair price. I ordered it and was going to surprise my dad with it but it was not to be. My dad suddenly passed away 2 days before it arrived. I wasn't sure what to do, I was in shock losing not just a father but my best friend. I was trying to decide whether to keep or sell but friends convinced me to keep it as a tribute to my dad. It has been 5 years since Dad's passing and I still miss him but his Marlin I got for him 2 days too late still reminds me of him.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Marlin model 36

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm sorry to hear about your dad and the timing of getting a rifle to him, it is a beautiful rifle.
Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Neat rifles. Sad story. I'd keep it- I bet it will will remind you of things whenever you look at it, even if he never saw that particular rifle.
My dad wasn't a gun guy, but I have his Winchester single shot .410 and it sill reminds me of things even though I only remember him shooting it once.
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Sad your Father didn't see the rifle. I also think it would be comforting to use it in his honor, he would be proud of it, I'm sure. That 36 is in very nice shape! DP
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

It is good you kept the rifle as it will remind you of him every time for the rest of your life too. What a great gift that gun would have made!
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
popplecop

Post by popplecop »

Very nice, it is to bad your Father didn't live to see it, but now you can hunt with it and it honors him. Your post reminded me that I have a Model 1936 which is the early version of yours, don't think there is any difference in them. I think the 1936 designation was only used in 1936. Anyway haven't shot mine in years, will dig it out and shoot it again.
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Just because he never got to handle it doesn't mean it wasn't his. You bought it for him. I know I will never sell my grandfather's Auto 5 or my dad's 1894 no matter how hard times get. Besides, that is a beautiful old rifle. I would have paid more for it than you did.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Looks like a fine rifle to always remeber him by. and maybe pass on in your family someday.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!