Brought a Rio Grande and worst fear realized

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
duncan32244

Brought a Rio Grande and worst fear realized

Post by duncan32244 »

Really, really disappointed. I brought a stainless steel Rio 30 30 and put 10 shots throught it and now it will not load bullets. As a matter of fact, the lever gets stuck in the open position. I am so disappointed. I will send it in and probably my last Rossi. I was hesistant in buying it because I have heard horror stories of thier customer service department. Unfortunatley, I brought it from a place where they do not take firearms back but I have brought many guns there and hopefully he will put the money toward a Marlin or even better as a down payment on a Browning. You get what you pay for I guess. I am so disaapointed. Any suggestions, I like the gun but a gun that does not work is crap.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Brought a Rio Grande and worst fear realized

Post by akuser47 »

Were are you located I am in ohio near hancock county It may be an easy fix?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like the bolt is dragging across the radius of the hammer is all. It takes a couple of minutes to fix with a file and is documented in several posts here.

Did you take your rifle apart and clean it before you shot it?
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

You gotta do your Rossi stuff:
1) strip the gun down
2) clean the parts with alcohol or dechlorinated brake cleaner fluid so you can see what you're doing
3) don't forget to scrub out the magazine tube with a gun cleaning rod & brush
4)remove machining burrs with jewelers files, knife sharpening stones and smooth with ultra-fine emery paper
5) lubricate with quality light machine oil as you reassemble the gun

The RG/336 action is a lot simpler than the 92 action..........a 6 year old kid could perform the tune-up I described above.

My "blue" Rossi RG in 30-30 Winchester became the slickest and most accurate levergun I've ever fired bar none only after I did my Rossi stuff.

The "Rossi stuff" regimen should be standard procedure with every Rossi firearm purchase.

The ONLY Rossi parts fitter/stock finisher and quality control person to work on your new Rossi gun is well known to you...........you shave his face every morning. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Though this video is for a Marlin 336 it all comes apart the same way as well as reassembly. It is a two part video but it also shows the spots that will cause problems in some cases. Just be sure you use screw drivers that fit or you will also be replacing screws.

Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Duncan

Just because it is a Marlin, doesn't mean it won't need the same work. I'm sitting in a deer blind with s young fellow, his new production 336 needed a bit of work as well.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Duncan

Just because it is a Marlin, doesn't mean it won't need the same work. I'm sitting in a deer blind with s young fellow, his new production 336 needed a bit of work as well.

I bought 2 Remlin Guide Guns ......a 1895G (blue) & a 1895GS (SS) as projects to dispel the winter doldrums last year and after a good cleaning & polishing ("Rossi Stuff") & replacing the stock triggers and extractors with parts from Wild West Gun and installation of Brownell custom spring kits these guns are slick, powerful ballistic machines.
The 1895G took me a moose & elk last fall with HSM "Bear Load" factory ammo (440 grain hard cast lead bullets) I got on sale.
I've become very fond of those 2 GGs.

I do a clean & polish job on any new gun as a matter of routine to identify problems right from the getgo............if nothing else it teaches me a lot about my new gun & how it works.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:Duncan

This young man shot a swamp donkey! 8 1/2 years old!
uploadfromtaptalk1358129427791.jpg
Damned if this 336Y didn't lock up when he tried emptying the rifle's magazine.

I will work on the rifle this week for him. This has been my experience with new Marlins.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Good thing the kid had the exactly the right guy around when his Remlin decided to act up.
My 2 Remlin GGs were rough when I bought them but now after a thorough clean/polish/lube job and rebuild with 3rd party parts they are second only to my 30-30 RG in slickness.
I wouldn't part with either because I've got too much of ME invested in them and they got me results.
Like they say...... "a full freezer is worth a thousand words".
A Remlin is a Marlin waiting for a new owner to clean and polish it into existence.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
jimbtx1

Post by jimbtx1 »

Duncan, refuse to give up so easily...people on the forum will help you recover the mechanicals on your gun to better than new, with minimal effort...
Don't be afraid to ask even the simplest questions on here and you'll get results...Jim