First hunting trip.

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
wizocodes

First hunting trip.

Post by wizocodes »

So after locking my keys in my truck, had to drive 15 minutes to get the spare. Trying to find my daughters SS card to get her license. We finally took our first hunting trip, squirrel. We borrowed a little bolt action .22 from and friend and she handled it really. I was worried she would have forgotten about the whole M.A.T. thing, but she surprised me! We walked around for a bit and finally saw one run across a log and onto the ground. Unfortunately, we lost sight of him but we sat down waited a bit to see if he would show himself again, no such luck. Walked around a bit more and saw another run down a tree so we sat and waited for him again. Nothing, dang things get swallowed up by the ground when they hit. After not luck in the section we were in for about an hour we started to make our way back to the vehicles. That's when we saw a nice group of six nests high up in the tree. We all decided to sit down and wait there for a bit. Saw two run down a tree and disappeared on the ground, again. After a while we started to walk toward the tree they ran down. After some keen scouting I see a little furry butt. So I point him out to Jazzie and she takes the shot and misses. That was enough to make two more scurry across the tree tops into the their nests where we waited and watched them for a half hour and decided seeing how they didn't want come out of their nests we'd just head home.
Before we left we figured we would take some shots off at an old Gatorade bottle. Out of ten shots she hit 7, not bad for I thought for first time using a real fire arm. I asked her how it felt to take her first shot. She looked over at me and with a huge smile on her face replied with a "good". Another guy with us let her uses his scoped 10/22 and she did awesome, if only her gun had a scope. That ranch bottle didn't know what hit it.
I look forward to going out with her again. Next time hopefully she will have her Rossi Matched Set to use. Need to get her to lifting weights, she complains that the guns are too heavy for her.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First hunting trip.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well done and thank you for making the effort to take her hunting!

I'm going to move this topic to the "Field/Hunting Stories" Forum.
Michael