remove the scope base

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

remove the scope base

Post by twobitokie »

Has anyone come up with good way to get the base off of the receiver with out damaging the receiver?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: remove the scope base

Post by Ranch Dog »

twobitokie wrote:Has anyone come up with good way to get the base off of the receiver with out damaging the receiver?
Not sure what you mean. I just take the screws out and lift it off.

Posted via Tapatalk...
Michael
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by twobitokie »

thought the thing was super glued on or sum such, and difficult to remove.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

twobitokie wrote:thought the thing was super glued on or sum such, and difficult to remove.
We talkin 92 or Rio Grande here :?: .....................I'm guessing Rio Grande as 92s don't usually come with scope bases pre-installed. :mrgreen:
I understand that some of the Rio Grande rifles come from the factory with the bases super-glued on because Braztech couldn't be bothered to use the proper screws. :evil:
Maybe some judicious pounding on a flat brass or copper plate placed over the base to prevent impact damage & denting with the rifle firmly held in a padded vise will break the epoxy bond & maybe it won't and you'll have to live with the scope base as is. :?:
Getting those epoxied screws out is going to be a lot of fun. :shock: ............better take all the pictures down off the walls before you get started ! :mrgreen: :lol:
Trouble is that once you've pounded on the base aggressively and it doesn't come off you'll likely never trust it again. :?
RD as the resident Krazy Glue expert on site is the man to ask................ +corn +corn +corn +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The base is not glued on. The threads will have Loctite on them and sometimes they use too much. You break Loctite by holding your screwdriver in the slot and tapping it with a hammer, the product will shatter.

Loctite, wet or dried, can be quickly cleaned up with acetone.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

That's good news.
I thought the bases were glued on.
Locktite is a lot easier to deal with than epoxy.
My RG in 30-30 didn't have a base on it NIB.
If they want to include a base they should include it in the box separate in a plastic envelope with the screws.
I like to put scope bases on myself.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I removed the scope base from my RG .45-70 early on. I was prepared for a battle with loc-tited screws, but all four of them backed out without tremendous effort. Tapping on the top of screw driver while applying torque was required on a couple of the screws. I did have to chase the threads on the receiver so the filler screws would thread in. I used blue loc-tite on the filler screws.

One thing I did discover was the Rio Grande iron sights were not well regulated from the factory. In fact, to get the rifle properly sighted in w iron sights, I had to drift both the front sight and rear sight a fair amount to bring the point of aim to center. I do not care so much for the gold-ish dot on front sight, so may black that out soon.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arroyoshark wrote:I removed the scope base from my RG .45-70 early on. I was prepared for a battle with loc-tited screws, but all four of them backed out without tremendous effort. Tapping on the top of screw driver while applying torque was required on a couple of the screws. I did have to chase the threads on the receiver so the filler screws would thread in. I used blue loc-tite on the filler screws.

One thing I did discover was the Rio Grande iron sights were not well regulated from the factory. In fact, to get the rifle properly sighted in w iron sights, I had to drift both the front sight and rear sight a fair amount to bring the point of aim to center. I do not care so much for the gold-ish dot on front sight, so may black that out soon.
Exacting QC, hand fitting & finishing and factory sight-ins are not going to happen for guns in the RGs price range......way too labor intensive & expensive.
The factory iron sights are pounded into the dovetails any which way & on to the next gun on the assembly line belt.
Braztech has no knowledge or control over what ammo you'll be shooting from your new gun anyway so a sight-in would be meaningless.

If your gun is even roughly sighted-in NIB it was a matter of pure horse s_ _ t luck. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Yeah, I hear ya on the QC/QA with Rossis. I really do not have any issues w general fit finish and operation. Seems like Rossi has made strides in these areas. I was just surprised at having to move the front sight to right a noticeable amount, along w drifting the rear to left considerably. It is visibly apparent. Was thinking if the barrel were any more skewed, I could shoot around corners w effect. Elevation is easily set for my loads.

Probably would not even have noticed if I had left the rail on and mounted a scope like others have.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith