I racked it upside down...

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
44WCF

Re: I racked it upside down...

Post by 44WCF »

my Winchester M88 also functions upside-down, and presumably also in zero gravity. i think i heard somewhere that the space station was starting to become overrun with deer?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44WCF wrote:my Winchester M88 also functions upside-down, and presumably also in zero gravity. i think i heard somewhere that the space station was starting to become overrun with deer?
I think the Winchester M88, the Sako Finwolf and the BLR leverguns all run on gears which don't care whether they're lookin up or down.........no loose parts swinging free to interfere with, block or obstruct other parts. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

pricedo wrote:
larryp wrote:
pricedo wrote:Just tried my Browning BLR in 450 Marlin & am utterly beside myself & overjoyed to report that it WILL cycle upside down.
Now all I have to find is an outfitter who specializes in upside down Moose or Grizzly Bear hunts. :mrgreen:
The BLR action runs on constantly intertwined gears splined into teeth on the bottom of the sliding bolt. .........no loose or hanging parts to interfere with other parts.

**Tip for the future: For zero gravity hunting the BLR is your gun :idea:
I love my BLR!
+1
I have 2.....both '81 lightweight Takedowns........308 Winchester & 450 Marlin.
Smooth, slick, dependable & accurate right out of the box.
w/m fit & finish.......impeccable. :D
My two , 7mm-08 and 358 win., are also wonderfully accurate and were on my "bucket list". DP
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

An interesting note: The pre-64 Winchester bolt action claw extractor was designed to allow for chambering rounds while the rifle was upside down. In case dangerous game knocked the shooter on his back, he could still chamber and fire.
Aim small, miss small.
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

pricedo wrote:
44WCF wrote:my Winchester M88 also functions upside-down, and presumably also in zero gravity. i think i heard somewhere that the space station was starting to become overrun with deer?
I think the Winchester M88, the Sako Finwolf and the BLR leverguns all run on gears which don't care whether they're lookin up or down.........no loose parts swinging free to interfere with, block or obstruct other parts. :mrgreen:
no gears in a M88, just a linkage, very different from the BLR in that way.
Doc1310

Post by Doc1310 »

My Rossi 30-30 did the same thing and I sent it back to the factory...twice!!. The first time it still had the ticket attached that said it had been repaired, 10 minutes after UPS delivered it back to me I was on the phone with Rossi sending it back at their expense. A month later, I got a call from Rossi tech Robert who has stated the the Rio Grande is Suppose to do that. It's built that way. there is nothing wrong with the rifle. Soooooo.....as a ex military man, I like my weapons to shoot at any angle. I've been hung up on fences and brush and have stepped in deep holes and have never had to worry about what position my rifle was in to shoot it....until now.
I love the looks of my RioGrande, the stainless Steel and the wood look real good, the trigger is crisp and the last time I shot it, it was accurate. I'm not sure that I want to use it on dangerous game, but I will take it pig hunting from a ambush site.
My Winchester 94 and my Henry rifle shoot in any position and I trust them with my life, but my Rossi RioGrande is the prettiest rifle I have and I like shooting it better than my Winchester 94. So I'll keep it and just always remember not to stalk dangerous game with it.
Like another poster said, it's the locking block. Rossi says its a safety item! Go figure!

Doc1310
(Paul)

In God we trust
( Everyone else' Hands where I can see 'em!)
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I won't be going after Grizzly Bears or Cape Buffalo with my RG in 30-30 & the "Gummy Bear" ammo (Hornady 160 grain FTX) I shoot in it any time soon & my creaky old legs have a harder & harder time getting me into my tree stand as old age sets in with my head pointing up and my feet pointing down as God intended without attempting to do it upside down so I think I will be able to live quite comfortably with the RGs "No upside down shooting" constraint. If the US invades Iran and Obama decides to raise the draft age limit to 65 I'm sure DOD will provide me with a weapon that shoots from any position. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
xboltss

Post by xboltss »

my RG .45-70 has no problem racking upside down with/without rounds loaded into the tubular magazine.
maybe i'm lucky ???
LiveFreeJeepHard

Post by LiveFreeJeepHard »

xboltss wrote:my RG .45-70 has no problem racking upside down with/without rounds loaded into the tubular magazine.
maybe i'm lucky ???
Try racking it a lot slower and see if your luck runs out.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

Win/Rossi 92's rack upside down just fine, provided you're not cycling it painfully slow. It's not a completely controlled feed, but the cartridge is well on it's way into the chamber before the cartridge guide releases it.

A true controlled feed such as a Mauser 98, 1903 Springfield, or some versions of the Ruger M77 will feed in any position, but will also not leave a round in the chamber if you short stroke it, which is handy when emptying the rifle.