92 takedown model?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

92 takedown model?

Post by rondog »

I just read something on Facebook where a guy said he saw someone at a range that had a Rossi 92 takedown model. Has anybody ever heard of such an animal?
Nashville Stage

Re: 92 takedown model?

Post by Nashville Stage »

I don't know if Rossi ever made them from the factory, but here are a few things I found:

Here's a Rossi that a machinist converted into a takedown:

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/rossi- ... rsion.html

Here's Ian from Forgotten Weapons (a wonderful YouTube channel) talking about the development of the Winchester 1886 lever action:

If you skip to the 8.5 minute mark, he demonstrates a takedown version that Winchester made.

If you're interested in the history & development of the different Winchester lever actions, Forgotten Weapons has a series of videos about them. I very much enjoyed watching them. Here's a link to the playlist:

8uck5nort

Post by 8uck5nort »

About half way down the first article the author listed a URL http://www.thearmsroom.com/id3.html for a smith that will make your lever rifle a take down.

Not sure what he charges, but the gunsmith site said it was all hand fitted with no CNC machine or other pre-made parts. This is labor intensive so I imagine it is not cheap.

A really accurate and usable take-down rifle in a light Rossi M92 would be very nice to have indeed. Taylor and Co. make an alaskan takedown on a 92 frame. It runs about 1100.00. Even if the gunsmithing is 300.00 or so I would do it. Even better would be a SBR Ranch Hand with a short barrel converted to a take-down.

Hmmm, maybe take that into grizzly country as a companion rather than a short stubby revolver that is really unpleasant to shoot. Even a 357 properly loaded with heavy (180 gr) hard cast at 1400 to 1500 fps out of a 12 inch barrel with more shots in rapid succession would do some serious damage to any critter of any size. Of course 44 mag would be better vs that big bear intent on making his feelings known. So... just saying.
Trying to improve myself one shot at a time!
8uck5nort

Post by 8uck5nort »

I e-mailed the gunsmith from the provided link to find out a ball park cost on doing a take down conversion.
Conman

Post by Conman »

I'm guessing this is one of those - IF you have to ask; you can't afford it. LOL
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I bet it's a lot more than $300.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
8uck5nort

Post by 8uck5nort »

I have not had reply yet, but I am pretty sure it will be a pretty penny. Hand fitted custom gunsmithing is never cheap. I probably need to add a 0 to my 300.00 figure. Most "gunsmiths" assemble now rather than actually smith anything.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

I have absolutely no need nor desire for a takedown levergun, and likely would only take it down a couple of times, just for the novelty of it. Certainly not worth the extra expense to me.

I only asked because I read someone mentioning seeing a takedown Rossi 92, and was curious if they'd ever made one. I'm sure many have legit uses and needs for them, but not me - I only go target shooting at the range.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

rondog wrote:I have absolutely no need nor desire for a takedown levergun, and likely would only take it down a couple of times, just for the novelty of it. Certainly not worth the extra expense to me.

I only asked because I read someone mentioning seeing a takedown Rossi 92, and was curious if they'd ever made one. I'm sure many have legit uses and needs for them, but not me - I only go target shooting at the range.
I can certainly understand your opinion on takedown levers, at least in a general sense and can accept your thoughts on it.

Winchester made quite a few models of levers and shotguns with take down capability in the early 1900's. Production numbers were likely low in comparison with all the models produced, but to some it had utility. The NRA gunsmithing guide had a chapter on converting lever action carbines to takedown models. For the 2006 production year, just before the New Haven factory shuttered for good, Wichester was preparing to introduce a big bore takedown mod. 94 in .458 caliber. Perhaps a few of these carbines left the factory before it was closed. Since then, when the lever action Winchester production was moved to the Miroku factory in Japan, some recent models have been marketed with takedown capability.

I like to ride the rocky mountains on dirt/adventure bikes and enjoy primitive dispersed camping. Being able to pack a Winchester takedown model 94 into my luggage to deploy in camp, in my opinion, is a plus. A few years ago I moto'd to remote areas in the western arctic, i.e. the Canol Road, and observed many bears, both black bears and non-coastal griz. It felt comforting to have a .45-70 broken down and packed in my kit for use in remote camps. It was completely legal in Canada.

I would welcome the introduction by Rossi of takedown 92's in big bore handgun calibers.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
8uck5nort

Post by 8uck5nort »

If Rossi did make a takedown what pricepoint would make you buy one? For me 700.00 to 800.00 would be very tempting.