Red dot mount?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Red dot mount?

Post by OnTarget »

Looking to see if anyone has replaced the rear sight with a pictinney type rail for a small red dot. I have a pre safety 16" SRC .44 mag large loop that I love to death! Any info would help. Thanks.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Red dot mount?

Post by akuser47 »

I haven't but have thought about it many times. you can scout mount the dot. or you will have to drill and mount a rail to the receiver. Not sure how I would like a red dot on a scout mount with a lever action. Maybe someone with a cetain setup will chime in soon I am curious as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

OnTarget wrote:Looking to see if anyone has replaced the rear sight with a pictinney type rail for a small red dot. I have a pre safety 16" SRC .44 mag large loop that I love to death! Any info would help. Thanks.
The same as mine except mine has the normal size finger lever which I like. :D
The semi-buck horn iron sights are great so I kept em on the gun.
This gun was ready to go out of the box but I cleaned, deburred & lubed it anyway & now it's even slicker.
I think a Weaver "Qwik Point" sight would work great on this gun and target acquisition would be almost instantaneous.
Shouldn't be hard to tap the screw holes to mount a rail on the barrel..........never tried it.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by OnTarget »

I will have to check out the Qwik Point. I am looking for something that will give me a fast sight picture. I do use this rifle as my home defense rifle as well. I do have a quality gunsmith located to do the work. Surely someone as replaced the back sight with a rail and has some pics of it, maybe? :roll:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had considered the Bushnell First Strike when I needed some thing different than the K4 Scout. Might be a project I work with in the coming year especially with the R92 chambered in 480 Ruger. Surely that would make it a Yogi Gun?

On another subject, I wrote Skinner Sight concerning the possibilities I see for an outfit to start marketing "improved" base mounts for the R92 in that now all rifles are drilled and tapped. Even offered to send him a rifle to work with.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The old Weaver "Qwik Point" is as old as the hills (40 years old) and I've got 2 of them that are quite functional but not currently mounted on guns.
There are dozens of newer more capable & versatile focused light and laser sights around.
As long as they still make drills, taps and Picatinney rail blanks I'm sure any reasonably adept & dextrous Rossi 92 owner can mount one of the myriad options to suit his/her needs.
Take your time and consider all of the ramifications before you drill a hole or remove any metal.........it won't grow back. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Ranch Dog wrote:I had considered the Bushnell First Strike when I needed some thing different than the K4 Scout. Might be a project I work with in the coming year especially with the R92 chambered in 480 Ruger. Surely that would make it a Yogi Gun?

On another subject, I wrote Skinner Sight concerning the possibilities I see for an outfit to start marketing "improved" base mounts for the R92 in that now all rifles are drilled and tapped. Even offered to send him a rifle to work with.
RD--
My new 92 octagonal barrel is not drilled and tapped. Do they maybe hide these under the rear sight?

I've given thought to doing this....the D & T. Seems that barrel would have more than enough meat on it.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by OnTarget »

Pricedo that is exactly what I am doing, really making sure this is the route I want to go. Really trying to find a pic of someone with something similar, to see if I really like it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tazman1602 wrote:My new 92 octagonal barrel is not drilled and tapped. Do they maybe hide these under the rear sight?
On the round barrel rifles, you would not know they are drilled and tapped without removing the rear sight. The sight completely covers the holes. I've even tried to lift the sight (spring leaf) and look and you cannot see them.
Michael
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

I'll let you know what I find under the octagon barrel sight then Michael, my new sights should be here tomorrow.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt