Why do you Reload ??

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
muleman

Why do you Reload ??

Post by muleman »

I know there are lot's of different reasons for reloading, so why do you do it?
I got started thinking about reloading, quite honestly through misinformation. I had a guy I worked with tell me how cheap it was to get started. I knew nothing about it and at the time I thought he knew quite a bit. I took his advice, that I could get everything I needed for under $200.00 and be on my way. Well, In my case anyway, not exactly true. Of course my wife always accuses me of going to far with most things and she is probably right. I have never been one to do things the bare minimum. If I am going to do something, I want to do it right, "the first time". I started with a used Rock crusher package and a few miscellaneous items the guy threw in the deal. Did I have what I needed, I didn't have a clue. Then I bought reloading books. The best by far was the Lee reloading manual. Next came an electronic scale. Then I needed cases and die sets. Of course, you have to have several (dozen different powders) then there is the case trimmer and the bullet sizer. I better buy some bullets( probably need several different kinds of them also) Primers, what about primers, I did not know which were best so I better get some of each. Oh yea, make sure and buy them by the thousands cause they are cheaper that way and may be hard to get latter. Actually at the time I started they were hard to get then. I needed a bench to put all the cool stuff on so a trip to the lumber yard and a few hundred dollars latter I had a real nice bench. Wait I forgot the case cleaner, gotta have that, now which media, which polish, I will get some of both just to be sure. So there I was in a corner in a room in the house about 3 months after starting this venture ready to load. I had approximately $1500.00 worth of some really cool equipment and by reading all the books I knew how to use it. Finally, I had 50 newly loaded 45-70 cartridges and compared to almost 30 bucks a box for the pre-made stuff man did I save a bundle. But that was just the start, now two more benches to hold all the stuff and several more presses and unknown amounts of powder, primer and bullets I am ready for the next several years. Then the day cam when my wife just had to ask. What happens if we have a fire in the house and all that powder catches on fire???? Good question?? Time to build a reloading room in the shop. Did I do it for the cost savings, not by a long shot, but man I enjoy doing it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why do you Reload ??

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think we are at the same place muleman, just a little different tack to get there. I found it a nice pastime in that you cannot shoot 24/7. I did not get into it to save any money, I took it up to provide an extension of my shooting activities. I started many moons ago with the simple Lee Loader and with nothing but the basics but enjoyed it so much that I just continued to build on what I was doing. I too constructed a dedicated reloading room when I built a new garage and barn on my place. I spend so much time in this activity that room has central ACH and a full bath!

Bullet casting is about the same. I was honcho'ing a postal match on the original Marlin forum, MarlinTalk, and it seem that the cast bullets where holding there own against jacketed so about a decade ago, I plunged into that.
Michael
Ray384
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Ray384 »

I know if I start a new caliber, it is going to cost me about $150 before the first round goes down range. I use a Lee Loadmaster that is about 12 years old, so that cost has been covered.

I know if I was buying ammo the cost would drive me out of CAS quickly, and with a replaced shoulder I can load lite versions ofthe.30/30 and the .45/70.
janoosh

Post by janoosh »

Hello all. A noobee here. I got into reloading to cut costs. Pure and simple. In the beginning, it did cut costs, but then.... Well you know how it goes. More calibers, more dies, more moulds, different presses. Also, I like to experiment and like to try out what I read about, reloading that is! So, a HB wadcutter reversed for a massive hollow point. Or a great 360 round ball load in a 357 mag. Or getting my M92 to reliably chamber a Lyman 35863 wadcutter. Lots of fun and informative.
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

I started when I was about 15 and it really was about saving money. I had saved enough paper route money to buy a shotgun, an Ithaca 37, but couldn't afford to shoot it. My dad took my down to the gun shop and bought me one of those cheap Lee shotgun loads, it was mostly plastic but it worked and I loaded a lot of 12 gauge shells on it.

I didn't get into cartridge reloading until I bought a .243 Ruger. I used a $10 (at the time) Lee Loader and an RCBS scale to load some very accurate handloads. I soon added a press and the race was on. Most of my loading gear is old, but it still works fine.

These days I only load calibers where it makes sense. For example I hate loading 9mm because I pinch the heck out of my fingers with those tiny cases. And 9mm is cheap enough that you can't really save anything. Same with .223 and .308 blasting ammo. But when I want to put together some accuracy loads, or specialty loads, it's time to warm up the loading press. I feel like I can load better, more accurate ammo than anything I can buy, shy of possibly Garrett or Grizzly ammo.
RossiRotten

Post by RossiRotten »

I do it to occupy my time in an enjoyable hobby. I does save money, especially as much as I shoot. I have collected a lot of used equipment (some for a very inexpensive price) and others cheap components, and can turn out custom ammo for way cheap. Bottom line is the versatility that one can have with his ammo, and the fun.
Used Too Much When New
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Warhawk wrote:...I hate loading 9mm because I pinch the heck out of my fingers with those tiny cases.
Then the 25 ACP would really drive you nuts. I cast and reload it!

Michael
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Warhawk wrote:...I hate loading 9mm because I pinch the heck out of my fingers with those tiny cases.
Then the 25 ACP would really drive you nuts. I cast and reload it!

Forget that! I don't know that I've ever even FIRED a .25 ACP.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

They are a lot of fun and could be useful with the Ranch Dog bullet. I've owned several but like Taurus 25PLY the best.

Michael
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

I'm afraid Saint Elmer Keith would roll over in his grave if one of his followers started shooting a 25 ACP ... :D