Ranch Dog Sr.'s Success!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ranch Dog Sr.'s Success!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dad made a wonderful shot this evening, right before dark, on a very nice 9 pointer with his Glenfield 30 using my TLC311-165-RF. We went out despite the 90° heat. This fellow stepped out about 15 yards abeam us 10 minutes before pitch dark. He was angling away from us and got out about 60 yards to our front before dad could see him good enough to take the shot.

My dad hit him perfectly through the heart, the buck wheeled back around and hit the dense brush on the other side of us. There was very little blood initially but I knew from how the deer was running that the deer was dead on it's feet with the heart not pumping, just a muscle reaction to flee. We waited just a few minutes and then entered the brush, it was pitch dark. I moved up where I thought the deer had traveled and in about 15 yards saw a spec of blood on a blade of the waist high grass. Everything here is waste high including the thorns and rattlesnakes so you move very slowly! Every few feet I was able to pickup a spec and after 50 yards the buck was right in front of me all piled up.

Dad and I have spent a lifetime sharing the outdoors and I could not begin to explain how precious each and every year is becoming!
Michael
jimbtx1

Re: Ranch Dog Sr.'s Success!

Post by jimbtx1 »

Great job RD Sr.!!!!!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Congrats on the buck nice glad you got him.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Congratulations to your dad. That is a buck I'd like to see when our rifle season opens in 3 weeks. Seems that your dad could get along nicely with a single shot rifle because he only ever needs one shot. That's great shooting Milo!

As for those 90º temps and short sleeved shirts I can only say that it doesn't seem fair. Our high yesterday was 38º and right now it's 24º outside. It will only get colder by the time our season arrives.

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks guys, dad was a pretty happy cat last night!

I am somewhat thankful for the temperatures in that on the few days that we hit freezing, I typically don't want to go hunting. Really not equipped for it.
Michael
izzyjoe

Post by izzyjoe »

very nice buck, you're dad did a great job! time spent huntin' in the field with family and friend's are precious memories that can't be bought! :D
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The Glenfield 30 is just a 336 with hardwood instead of walnut furniture............looks just as good and as RD Sr. proved the deer can't tell the difference.
The Rossi Rio Grande I believe also has a hardwood stock and is another really fine rifle.
RD Sr...........congrats on your success.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

Congrats, NICE buck! Like the straight stock on that Glenfield 30!
Best,
Dan
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

Very cool. I don't have to tell you, but enjoy every minute that you have with your dad.

I recently picked up another Glenfield 30GT. Now I have two, plus a very similar similar Western Field (walnut stocks, 20 inch barrel, from 1969).

The 30GT is my favorite configuration of any Marlin lever gun. I prefer lightweight guns with short barrels, making the 30GT just about the ultimate 30-30, for me.
Bad-dog

Post by Bad-dog »

It sure is special hunting with your dad, my dad and I shared many hours in the bush every hunt was great wether we got an animal or not.