Anyone scope there Winchester 94 30-30?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Anyone scope there Winchester 94 30-30?

Post by pricedo »

The irons on my new Winchester (Miroku) 1886 Extra Light were copied right from the old Winchester 92s & 94s...........very fine, precise & crisp.........should shoot just great at 50 yards.
The small silver bead of the front sight stands out perfectly in the sight picture.
No need for a scope on this gun as all my original Winchester 94s group great @ 50 yards with the factory irons and my old eyes.
I'm glad Miroku has chosen to retain the best features of the old Winchester originals.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
olderndirt

Post by olderndirt »

Late seeing this post, you might try Basil Pearson's Win/94 NO DRILL mount for scope. You can find info. at
www.mod94scoperail.com. I just got one myself and it seems like a nice heavy mount for a scout type mount for the 94's.
I have a problem with old eyes seeing sights too, have been shooting peep sights but need to try this set up with a low power scope for my 94 ;)
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

olderndirt wrote:Late seeing this post, you might try Basil Pearson's Win/94 NO DRILL mount for scope. You can find info. at
http://www.mod94scoperail.com. I just got one myself and it seems like a nice heavy mount for a scout type mount for the 94's.
I have a problem with old eyes seeing sights too, have been shooting peep sights but need to try this set up with a low power scope for my 94 ;)
The best prospect I've seen to date for scoping my original 94s when the old peepers decide to go south.
I wasn't really keen on drilling & tapping 60 & 70 year old family heirlooms for scout scope mounts..........now it looks like I don't have to.
Future range reports & reviews on how solid, stable & steady these mounts really are in the field & on the range will be the deciding factor for me.
No hurry......my eyes are still holding their own. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looks like a great alternative to D&T. I wonder what it weighs?
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Quinc wrote:Picked up a Win 94 30-30 yesterday and I would like to put a scope on it and give it to my dad for Christmas. I would rather keep it iron sights but he is having a hard time seeing both the target and the sights with his old eyes. (Needs his reading glasses to see the irons but then he can’t see the target) So my question is what mount and optics would you all recommend? I am thinking 3-9 or at least 2-7x glass and preferable a mount that I won’t need to drill the receiver for.
If it's an angle eject model, no mods are needed to put some weaver mounts on the action. I have a 94 Trapper in 45 colt and a 20" 94 chambered in 7-30 Waters. The Trapper wears a K 1.5 Weaver and the 7-30 has a 1.5-4.5X20 Nikon Monarch. The K 1.5 is about as fast on target as you can get with tired, old eyes, and the 1.5-4.5 is plenty of power for the range of the Waters round, as well as close and personal whitetail hunts. DP
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Maybe this setup will work on my 94/450 Marlin.
The gun weighs about 6 1/2 pounds and is like a Brahma bull at a rodeo in that it's fierce recoil has bucked loose every set of mounts I've tried on it whether they're locktited in or not.
There are structural considerations which make this rifle particularly hard to scope.
One of these is preserving the takedown capability with the rifle scoped.
I originally thought the rifle was inaccurate but discovered that recoil loosened mounts was the culprit.
The rifle is extremely accurate with the factory irons at 50 yards if you can keep the ball joint in your shootin shoulder in place.
I'd rather run this rifle with the irons anyway so no big deal.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA