Anyone scope there Winchester 94 30-30?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Anyone scope there Winchester 94 30-30?

Post by Quinc »

Picked up a Win 94 30-30 yesterday and I would like to put a scope on it and give it to my dad for Christmas. I would rather keep it iron sights but he is having a hard time seeing both the target and the sights with his old eyes. (Needs his reading glasses to see the irons but then he can’t see the target) So my question is what mount and optics would you all recommend? I am thinking 3-9 or at least 2-7x glass and preferable a mount that I won’t need to drill the receiver for.
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone scope there Winchester 94 30-30?

Post by Ranch Dog »

B-Square has the best offset mount I know if. I have a 94 with one.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
izzyjoe

Post by izzyjoe »

Leupold makes a good mount for the 94's, and as far as scope's i'd recomend the Redfield 2x7. i have one on my 30-30 marlin, and i love it. it's a little pricey, but it's worth every penny!
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Ranch Dog wrote:B-Square has the best offset mount I know if. I have a 94 with one.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!

Do you have to do any modification to the receiver for the mount? Also do you have any issue with with taking longer shots? For instance if you have it sighted in at 100 yards and you want to shoot 300 yards can you just aim a little higher or does it also effect it side to side?

*Should have mentioned this is a top eject model.
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Quinc wrote:Do you have to do any modification to the receiver for the mount? Also do you have any issue with with taking longer shots? For instance if you have it sighted in at 100 yards and you want to shoot 300 yards can you just aim a little higher or does it also effect it side to side?

*Should have mentioned this is a top eject model.
The B-Square mounts screws directly on the side of the receiver using existing threaded holes. I see that it has been discontinued but MidwayUSA still has them in stock. With the demise of the M94 so long ago, the top eject rifles, and many of the orignal rifles sitting in closet corners, it just doesn't make manufacturing sense to continue production of the mount. The mount pictured in stock is much nicer than the earlier mount on my dad's rifle as the rings on his mount are integrated in the mount.

My dad bought a new M94 in 1966 and put the mount on the rifle in 1968 along with a Bushnell Banner 4X and through constant use either have lost their zero or come loose.

The mount sits about 1/2" left of center so the MOA translated out is really insignificant. I will measure the offset a bit later in the day.

Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Had a B-Square mount on one of my pre-64 Winchester 94s for a while and took it off because as I recall it wasn't a very confidence inspiring mount.
It's sitting around in a drawer somewhere along with a litany of other failed contraptions from the past.
I should start "pricedos nostalgia junk museum". :mrgreen:
It didn't seem like a very rock-solid and stable mount to me.
A friend commented at the range, "looks like there is nothing but friendship holding the scope on that gun".
The pre-64 94s had a pretty decent set of fine adjustable factory iron sights (I wish Rossi would copy them) which I preferred to any of the newfangled sighting systems I tried over the years. I always seemed to go back to the factory irons after each optical experiment.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I'm 48 and have encountered middle age accommodation issues with a vengeance.

I've just gotten over being nauseous with my new pair of progressive readers (it took about a week to adjust to them) but they have suddenly put me back in the groove at 50 yards with iron sighted pistols, and they work equally well with iron sighted rifles.

However, even before the new glasses, I found that I could shoot a tang sighted Model 92 or Model 94 just fine. The rear aperture increases the depth of field for your eye and will bring the front sight into sharp focus even with poor accommodation and you don't have to focus on the rear aperture at all as your eye naturally centers the front sight in it.

So...my advice for scoping a Model 94 is to try one with an aperture sight first if accommodation is the only issue. If on the other hand his distance vision also cannot be corrected to 20/20 or something in the 20/25 or 20/30 ball park (not perfect but still good enough to drive), then a scope may be the way to go.
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

It may be too late for the original poster, but I suggest mounting a medium eye relief scope on the barrel, like a scout scope. It might require some gunsmithing work to do this because I don't think the model 94 is drilled for this kind of mount.

A good choice would be a fixed 2.5 or 2.75 power. Scopes of this type are made by Leupold, Burris, and NcStar. The NcStar is very inexpensive (about $40 or so), and it works great on my model 92. It should work just as well on a model 94. That scope is found in NcStar's Pistolero range of scopes. The other two scopes are closer to the $250 dollar range I believe. I think there may be one or two other makers of this type of scope as well, though there aren't many manufacturers.

Forward mounting a scope is not very traditional. There are pros and cons, but I think I actually like it better than conventional receiver-mounted scopes that have short eye relief.

One more thing. I don't think there is much point in putting a high power or variable power scope on a model 94 or similar rifle, which is primarily a short-to-medium range weapon.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Most 94s retired about the same time as their buyers eyes did.
As a baby-boomer most of my peers had 94s for deer hunting back in the day.
As the peepers grew dimmer I tried various optical experiments on my pre-64 94s without success as they defeated the core design parameters of the classic 94 which were cheap, streamlined & light.
I have a lot of failed contraptions laying on shelves and in drawers collecting dust.
If I wanted to go the clunky scoped route I have plenty of scoped bolt actions in that category that will KO deer at ranges I wouldn't think of taking a shot at with a 94 scoped or not.
As I said new glasses put me back in the iron sight game.
I don't mix the 14+ year old whiskey on my "special occasion" shelf & the beer I bought yesterday at the store and in respect to guns I don't mix legacy with modern............I put scopes on my modern bolt actions so they can make proper use of each others capabilities & use irons on my classic leverguns.
No logical reason .........JUST ME BEING ME. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I don't know if you found a scope mount yet, but I have a weaver side mount "U" that was made for the top eject win 94. It is still new in pkg with screws.