Safety Plug Alternative

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
BadMonk

Safety Plug Alternative

Post by BadMonk »

The search function didn't yield any results so I'll ask and start a new thread.

The Button Style Safety Replacement Plug from Steve's Gunz fell out and was lost at the range today. I figured that I'd buy another but at nearly $30 ($18.95 and $9.95 shipping)...I can't. Are there any good alternatives - other than a peep sight - that can be used? It doesn't have to look super-professional, nor should it look like I duct taped a piece of beer can over the hole. Something that works and looks okay is okay with me.

I'm thinking to cut the shaft off a screw and use the head to cover the hole...?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Safety Plug Alternative

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Take a look at similar topics at the bottom and look at the 25acp thread

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
kyron4

Post by kyron4 »

I removed the safety and filed off the tab and the "toggle" and rounded and smoothed the edges. Hit it with some cold blue and I reinstalled it in the "fire" position. Doesn't look any more out of place than the $30 plug and it only cost me maybe 20 minutes of my time.
BadMonk

Post by BadMonk »

Yup, just read about that on another forum. Sounds like an easy enough 'fix' and no need for glue, epoxy or whatever...just pin it back in place. I might give that a go.
Hylander

Post by Hylander »

kyron4 wrote:I removed the safety and filed off the tab and the "toggle" and rounded and smoothed the edges. Hit it with some cold blue and I reinstalled it in the "fire" position. Doesn't look any more out of place than the $30 plug and it only cost me maybe 20 minutes of my time.
Pic or it didn't happen ;)
Sounds easy enough
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

I have the Steve's guns plug, but filling the original safety down sounds like a great idea.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

As long as you also removed the portion that would block the firing pin IF somehow it did get turned in the socket OR 'pinned it in place' so it couldn't inadvertently somehow get stuck in the safe position.
woden

Post by woden »

another alternative is to cut off the base of a .284 or 7mm bullet if you have one or can get one from a reloader. Tap the cut off base gently into the hole, put a few drops of loctite on the edges for good measure. The bullet will be oversize but will wedge in. Mine has not moved after hundreds of heavy loads.
BadMonk

Post by BadMonk »

Today I stripped down my 92 and gave it a good bath, oiling and greasing. While it was apart, I used Kyron4's idea along with my faithful Dremel tool to modify the factory safety. Got it all back together - with a few colorful phrases in the process - and everything works just fine...safety included.
kyron4

Post by kyron4 »

Hylander wrote:
kyron4 wrote:I removed the safety and filed off the tab and the "toggle" and rounded and smoothed the edges. Hit it with some cold blue and I reinstalled it in the "fire" position. Doesn't look any more out of place than the $30 plug and it only cost me maybe 20 minutes of my time.
Pic or it didn't happen ;)
Sounds easy enough
Here you go. The flash makes it look grey but it's really a matte black color.