RD's first kill with 480 Ruger!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: RD's first kill with 480 Ruger!

Post by Trailboss »

RD, what do you think the same load would do to a black bear?
Aim small, miss small.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Trailboss wrote:RD, what do you think the same load would do to a black bear?
Knock it down. I've never hunted them as it is illegal to kill a bear in Texas but it doesn't mean we don't have them. My desert mule deer country is full of them and I hope one day the rules will change to allow a legal hunt. My personal observation is pound for pound the feral hog is about the same.

My brother in law is a long time hunter from PA, hunting them at home, out west and in Canada. He says there is no difference. Here is one of his hogs off of my ranch.
00 011.jpg
He shot this hog with a Marlin 375.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

375 Winchester I presume not the H&H, Weatherby or Ruger variety.
I always liked the round and the looks of the Winchester 94 in 375 Winchester & intended to buy one & then a sad year in American history happened in 2006 with the closing of the Winchester plant. Little did we know then that there'd be a few more sad days coming the one of most note being the disgraceful desecration of the JM Marlin company by Cerberus/Remington.

It's passing strange that 35 & 375 caliber leverguns never too off in North America. There is a small but loyal 35 Remington following.

That's a big hog...... how much did it weigh??
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:375 Winchester I presume not the H&H, Weatherby or Ruger variety.
I always liked the round and the looks of the Winchester 94 in 375 Winchester & intended to buy one & then a sad year in American history happened in 2006 with the closing of the Winchester plant. Little did we know then that there'd be a few more sad days coming the one of most note being the disgraceful desecration of the JM Marlin company by Cerberus/Remington.

It's passing strange that 35 & 375 caliber leverguns never too off in North America. There is a small but loyal 35 Remington following.

That's a big hog...... how much did it weigh??
Yep, the cartridge is the 375 Winchester. Always wanted a Savage 99 chambered in the cartridge. The hog, on the hoof weighed exactly 300#.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yep, the cartridge is the 375 Winchester. Always wanted a Savage 99 chambered in the cartridge. The hog, on the hoof weighed exactly 300#.
One popped up on GunBroker this morning: Savage 99 chambered in 375 Win. Both the rifle and shipping are overpriced.
Michael