Marbles Front Sight Selection

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jmay

Re: Marbles Front Sight Selection

Post by jmay »

Walked in gunshop this morning for the usual powder and primer. I asked the owner/gunsmith for some Marbles front sight to look at he asked what I was trying to do. So I told him the issue with my 92 front fight problem shooting high. He handed me a front sight said it was from Rossi and it might take a little filing to make it fit dovetail but it would fix my problem. He said Rossi sent some guns out with the wrong front sight . I polished the sight with dremmel tapped it in and shot few times and out seems to be the fix. The finish on it is poor but I can take care of that!
phonejack

Post by phonejack »

A long time ago I bought a Harley motorcycle that had a " broken jug" where the exhaust pipe went in. It was a pressure fit. Rather than buy a new or used jug I epoxied the exhaust pipe onto the jug with JB weld. Winter,summer it heated up and cooled off without any problems. Never came loose.( it was a 1948 flat head)
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

Xshot wrote:I thought my experience with Marbles sights might be helpful to others.

I replaced my Rossi 92 (.357 mag) sights with he Bullseye Ghost ring and their fiber optic front post. The rear sight is the long version (2.5 inches) and the front fiber optic (green) is .530 inches. Best I can tell, I'm shooting the Hornady 140 grain Leverevolution 2 inches high at 50 yards. The Bullseye Ghost ring is set on the 2nd elevation notch on the ramp. The fiber optic front sight is a 3/32" bead and functional for hunting, but don't expect precision target shooting from it. I'm able to put 5 shots into a 4 inch square at 50 yards, hand held, from a seated position using my knee as a rest for my elbow. IMHO - good for a heart lung shot out to 100 yards.
Using the chart, can anybody help me out with an edjucated guess which fiber optic front sight height would put me about zero at 50 yrds with the RD 375 mold for my 480 ruger? Ill be using the bullseye ghost ring sight mentioned above.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

Well through trial and error I found a front sight of .290" to be dead on @ 25yrd with both Hornady 325gr XTPs and handloaded 375gr cast bullets.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
pnw

Post by pnw »

Just ordered a 20" 92 in 454 and know I'll need to change sights for my old, partially colorblind eyes. Pretty much settled on the Marbles bullseye with either an ivory bead or fiber optic front sight. I'd like to order sights so they arrive about the same time as the rifle. So, two questions...

1. Does anyone have the correct height for the front sight to match the bullseye rear sight on the 454?
2. Like the chart posted by Ranch Dog, does anyone know how much of the target the fiber optic covers at 100 yards?
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I recommend you order a patridge front blade from Skinner Sights. They can be filed down to suit your needs. They are my preference since I use a 6 o'clock hold and the flat top of a blade seems more precise for me.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pnw

Post by pnw »

Agree on the type of front sight...I use the same hold for the same reasons. Currently looking at the XS blade because of the contrasting white on black stripe which, I think, will help my eyes in various lighting situations.
pauco

Post by pauco »

VERY useful chart, thanks RD !!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You're welcome!
Michael
craiginct

Post by craiginct »

I posted some of this in 'the nursery', since I'm a newbie here, but figured I'd include it here also.

I just bought Rossi/Braztech 16" round bbl carbine and 24" octagon bbl rifle. I replaced the rear buckhorns on each with Marble ghost-ring/bull's-eye sights (to pamper my aging eyes). The carbine dovetail had a firm grip on the OEM sight, but yielded nicely to gentle persuasion of brass drift and 16oz ballpeen. On the other hand, the 24"bbl rifle dovetail had been abused by Rossi during OEM installation of rear sight. The OEM part popped out on first drift contact. ID edges of dovetail were deformed upward, but I was able to gently straighten them using very gentle taps of 16oz ballpeen while rifle was secured in regular bench vise lined with old leather work gloves. New Marble bull's-eye was gently encouraged into position using brass drift and same 16oz ballpeen... operational word remains "gently". My peening of dovetail edges did not harm the bbl or the dovetail grip, as the replacement part slid in smoothly without imitating the deformation that Rossi/Braztech had caused.

Now that I've done those replacements, having read comments of others in this forum, and having re-inspected my sights' vertical alignment, I realize that I'm definitely going to need higher front sights, UNLESS I always aim under the targets' 6. Even when set at the lowest sight notch, the rear it is 50% higher than the front bead. I think I may need a little help figuring out the right replacement for the front of these similar yet dissimilar sighting issues, probably when I go get the burrs smoothed out internally. Fun times! Really! but frustrating... oh, well, I'll get to the range one of these days...