Henry's new 41 mag

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
triggerpull

Re: Henry's new 41 mag

Post by triggerpull »

I wouldn't hold my breath on these staying in regular production--though I have no information from the manufacturer on this.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I only hold my breath when under da water. I am looking at buying one about 2 more weeks. unless I go off the deep and get side tracked by one of those "bucket items" that only pop up very rarely.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Well I must bow my head in shame and acknowledge Ranch Dog's wisdom on getting the collet crimp die__I thought I found one when I found the 44 mag collet die--but instead got the regular lee factory handgun crimp die--which really is nothing more than a forcing cone making the crimp--unlike the "from the side" constriction that the collet die makes. I've spent a lot of time doing different crimps with a variety of dies for the 41--and what I'm finding is that any die that crimps and has a potential downward force will likely change the COL of the cartridge--and likely the mouth tension as well.

I actually just had a reload done with remington brass split the case symetrically right in half in my rifle's chamber. I spent quite some time trying to figure how this could happen. After lots of testing, measuring etc. I finally came to the conclusion that 1) the remmie brass is pretty thin in the area above the web to start with 2) during resizing and seating the case will alternately stretch and contract. My feeling is that during resizing and crimping enough brass is forced back into the thinned area above the web that it quickly becomes brittle. When I worked the lever to extract the spent case--it literally snapped almost perfectly in half. Anyway--the proper 41 mag collet die is on it's way from Lee. : )

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow, that is a crazy failure. Oh, never any apologies needed.
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Believe it or not--I've heard from others that they have experienced the identical failure with reloaded remmie brass.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

triggerpull wrote:Believe it or not--I've heard from others that they have experienced the identical failure with reloaded remmie brass.
I believe the only Remington short cartridge brass I have is 38 Spl & 357 Mag. The flash holes are punched off center on most of the 38 Spl. I doubt that I will ever run out of these two but all the others are Starline or Winchester.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Hate it when that happens. Did you have much trouble getting the front half out of the chamber? Looks like you may want to retire that Remington brass.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

No problem getting the brass out--also checked the headspace and it's OK. I have lots of older starline and winchester brass that I've used for years but is getting a bit worn out--but I just ordered 500 new cases from starline so I should be set.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Remington brass has by several accounts including several gunrag writers been evaluated as becoming embrittled faster than the other major domestic manufacturers. To my knowledge Starline was NOT evaluated in those studies but has quickly become the preferred manufacturer for those of us who reload straight walled cases.

That said I've reloaded Remington many times in .45 ACP without problems.
I've also managed to split a few. Sometimes those splits are cases that are decades old.
I have yet to split a case horizontally. I check for thinning brass on my bottlenecked cases with a scratcher made from a paperclip on the inside of the case wall near the head. I haven't felt the need to check handgun brass in the same manner however.
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

I believe this an issue only with remmie's recent 41 mag ammo--I haven't heard of this type of failure in other calibers. Also--I have some old remmie brass whiah has been reloaded more than a few times that doesn't show signs of forming what I call a "fault line." A recent purchase of 50 remmie 41 mag JSPs fired had 12 cases showing bands around the circumference in exactly the area where my failure occured.