R92 Forearm vs. Band Fit

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Lostcoast

Re: R92 Forearm vs. Band Fit

Post by Lostcoast »

How would one go about bedding the forearm? It sounds very intriguing..
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm not real sure as you have the magazine tube in that forearm as well.

I'm happy with the way I've relieved the barrel/band and fitted the forearms on all five of my R92s and am not going to take it any further. There is no shot stringing or POI change when cycling through a full magazine tube and that is what I was looking for.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

Just got my first crack at tearing my puma down tonight. I had similar plans as MT Gianni in removing the forearm and coating the whole stock inside and out with a paste wax. Anyway, when I got to the dreaded barrel band screw I could tell someone before me had an issue with it. The screw hole on the barrel band had a slightly flattened edge. Almost like the screw wasn't aligning properly so a punch was used to pound the screw head a into alignment . As soon as the screw let pressure off the band, the band rotated slightly. The threads on the screw seem undamaged. I didn't get it back in, but didn't get a chance to really fiddle with it before my one year old woke up from her nap. I think she saved me some frustration! Should get a chance to look at it tomorrow though.

Does the magazine tube just unscrew from the reciever or is there a trick to it?
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Does the magazine tube just unscrew from the reciever or is there a trick to it?
Yes, it just unscrews from the receiver.

Posted via Tapatalk!
Michael
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

All back together, turns out the band just needed seated a frog hair or two a little further on the forearm to properly align the holes with the notch in the barrel. Shaved a little wood off with a box cutter and all was well. Chipped the corner of the forearm though. I can see why they don't checker these stocks. That wood is soft!
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
scottz

Post by scottz »

What about rifle forearms, any issue with them?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

357cyrus wrote:All back together, turns out the band just needed seated a frog hair or two a little further on the forearm to properly align the holes with the notch in the barrel. Shaved a little wood off with a box cutter and all was well. Chipped the corner of the forearm though. I can see why they don't checker these stocks. That wood is soft!
Rossi don't checker nuthin......just be glad the stock isn't cracked or split. :D
Thank your lucky stars that your barrel was straight, the wood decent, the action true & the forearm band was fairly closely aligned..........it was pure luck........just like getting 4 black-jacks in a row in Vegas.
The day I pull a near perfect Rossi 92 out of a box is the day I rush to the store & buy a bunch of lottery tickets hopefully before my lucky streak runs out. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

scottz wrote:What about rifle forearms, any issue with them?
Yes, this topic hits on it. Poor relief on the barrel for the Barrel Band Screw.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm coming back to this topic to add a bit more information as there have been a couple of related topics where members express concern about relieving the barrel any. I just completed a TruOil finish on my R92 45 Colt and had to further relieve the notch on the barrel so that the screw could slip through without interference. As far as this issue is concerned, this is the worse rifle that I have as the barrel is canted clockwise (viewed as the shooter) approximately 4°. It is obvious that the dovetails and notches are all cut before the barrel is mounted into the receiver as everything is off this amount. In regards to the barrel band screw relief, I had to cut it deep because of the cant of the barrel. Here is the notch after dressing the depth a final time. I can now insert the screw and start the rotation with thumb nail pressure.

The firearm is upside down in the gun vise, note the orientation of the notch and scope base. In fact, in that the receiver is "squared" as it rests in the vice, the cant of the barrel is obvious when you study the scope base!

Here are my measurements of the various depths cut into the barrel as measured with a fine digital depth micrometer, pardon the crude drawing. After calculating the thickness of the barrel steel at the various cutouts, I applied some math to that number from a industrial reference I have. The numbers reflected in that reference were mirrored by my Pressure Trace documentation. The KPSI the steel can withstand at the cutouts is noted. As a comparison, remember that this is a .450" bore but this very same barrel is bored .476" for the 480 Ruger. The 45 Colt is a 14.0K PSI cartridge, I shoot it at 35.0K PSI, and the 480 Ruger is a 48.0K PSI cartridge!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

You've obviously got a real interest in and knack for the technical end of firearms and shooting RD as well as solid computer skills.
Ever think of making & posting some You-tube presentations? :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA